sombear

Arched Window Question

I've uploaded the video to Vimeo. It's about 20 minutes and probably not totally beginner-friendly, but at least you can see my approach to modeling this arched window. If you have any questions, we can discuss them here. To be honest, without the Even Distribution script from the HB Modeling Bundle, I would not go to all the trouble trying to even out the geometry and create quads everywhere. I forgot to get rid of one N-gon, but I hope you'll forgive me. :-) 

By the way, I checked out bezo's file and really liked the solution he came up with in order to create a clean transition between those arched sections. Pretty clever, and it goes to show that there are many ways to do certain things and get almost exactly the same result. 

Cheers,

contrafibbularities

• Like 2

"well thank you so much! take your time, no rush! i downloaded the HB bundle and am loving it!"

My pleaseure. :-)

If you do lot of modeling, the HB Bundle is well worth the money, you won't regret getting it. Quite a few of those scripts should be modeling features in C4D itself, if you ask me. I'm not surprised you like it. Most of the time it's useful little helpers that make your modeling life a lot easier, and not the fancy stuff that is advertised. The Even Distribution Script allows you to change the geometry and then quickly and easily even out the result without screwing up the shape. Extremely useful on curved surfaces when you do SDS modeling. 

Cheers,

contrafibbularities

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • @contrafibbularities such a great explanation of the process! and not hard to follow at all. i just finished going through the tutorial and have learned some really valuable tricks. thank you for putting the effort into this, it's everything i've been looking for! 

Screen Shot 2018-09-20 at 1.33.35 PM.png

• Like 1

Well, that was quick... :-) Nice job! If you're happy, I'm happy too.  Recording the tutorial wasn't that much work, and I enjoy making them when I have time. Glad I could help!

Cheers,

contrafibbularities

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • Hey all! I just wanted to say thanks again for all your help. Here is part of the project I was working on:

If you make it to the bridge and on you'll see where I used the model I made from @contrafibbularities beautiful tutorial. Thanks again, I learned so much from you all.