sombear

Arched Window Question

Hi all-

I'm quite new to C4d, I have a good understanding of the basics, but where my knowledge lacks is in good modeling techniques. I've been trying to figure out how to best model an arched window (image attached), but can't quite find the cleanest method. I've tried starting from a spline imported from an .ai file, extruding and modeling from there. I've tried starting from a basic polygon. The biggest problem I run into is when I try to extrude I often get overlapping edges in the arched sections of the model. Any insight into a good starting point for something like this would be greatly appreciated! I've found only a couple tutorials that get close to what I'm trying to do, but nothing really addresses it exactly.

Thanks!

window.jpg

There are lots of ways of doing this (polypen, start with grid, start with cube, etc.). Personally, I would model the windows and frame separately and use a grid for the windows. You can create the frame from a simple illustrator curve extruded or add a hypernurb to an inset grid. Here is basically how I would do the windows with a sharp edge to the extrude (similar to what you have shown in the frame.

ChurchWindow.jpg

ChurchWindow.c4d

• Like 1

I tried it out using box modeling, a bend deformer, and a symmetry object.  You can see a few of the stages in my file.  I'm no modeling expert, so I wasn't sure how to avoid the triangles at the corners, but they seem to look fine once things are beveled and under a Subdivision Surface.

Arch Window model v1.c4d

• Topic Author
  • Hey thanks for these! I'm going to open them up and check them out. I finally modeled something that was close to what I was going for, but I'm not sure it's the most efficient / clean way of doing it. Attached if anyone is interested in checking it out.

Thanks again!

window_model_v1.c4d

That looks great. I might change the bottom frame of the upper window, as it kinds of sharpens and disappears. It is easier to model this as you have done with separating the various parts, rather than create one entire object with all the pieces. Here is the small fix that I would do to the "upper center"

:WindowSmallFix.thumb.jpg.eeb491b01bebeaaaaf83324c1d7f24b0.jpg

A couple of minor issues though. Your vertical and horizontal window slats are separate objects, but overlie the same plane for their intersection. That might give texture weirdness. Connect objects and delete would fix that. (Edit: Oops, it doesn't. You would need to boole those). You use a few sweep nurbs. That is fine so long as you don't plan to export this to some different program, but you could make the sweep editable if you need to do this. Your file with minor fix:

ChurchWindowFix.c4d

• Like 1

Here is another version Used splines for starting, then only tweeking mesh to final result.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/av3le0l32umv46o/arch_window.zip?dl=0

No SDS, just few polygons. Dependent on needs of client could be more detailed. But in case camera looks on whole model of some house (or church or what is it), it could be enough...

• Like 2

• Topic Author
  • Thank you all for these responses. This is extremely helpful to me, I really really appreciate it! I'm going to do some more tinkering and will report back with any updates :signthankspin:

I took a shot at this as well. I am attaching a C4D file with the finished object. The file also contains a backup folder, which might be helpful in figuring out how I approached this. Since you're new to C4D it's a bit difficult to explain the process of modeling the window. However, I covered the techniques I used in a video tutorial on a Victorian window, which might be helpful:

https://vimeo.com/254294737

Cheers,

contrafibbularities

church window 02.jpg

church window 02-02.jpg

church window.c4d

• Like 2

• Topic Author
  • On 9/16/2018 at 2:27 AM, contrafibbularities said:

I took a shot at this as well. I am attaching a C4D file with the finished object. The file also contains a backup folder, which might be helpful in figuring out how I approached this. Since you're new to C4D it's a bit difficult to explain the process of modeling the window. However, I covered the techniques I used in a video tutorial on a Victorian window, which might be helpful:

https://vimeo.com/254294737

Cheers,

contrafibbularities

church window 02.jpg

church window 02-02.jpg

church window.c4d

Yes! Actually this tutorial of yours was the first I had ever found that got close when I started trying to figure this out a while ago. This model is so beautiful, thank you for sending. What I am so impressed by especially is how you get all of the spacing of the subdivisions to line up so perfectly at intersecting points. When I try to model each part of the arch separately and then connect together, I have trouble with that aspect, but you seem to do it here flawlessly.

I'll be studying this for sure! Thank you for taking the time.

• Topic Author
  • If anyone is curious about the genesis of this quest of mine, it's based on a jewelry piece I had made for some artwork (attached). The project was album artwork for the band I am a part of, and I've been wanting to create a model in c4d to be able to create additional visuals with the window motif.  

Again, thanks for all of these replies!

IMG_4079.JPG

• Like 1

You're welcome. :-)  

Re the even geometry: I just spent a little more time making the geometry look more pretty. :-) To make that a little bit easier, I'm using my favourite script from the HB Modeling Bundle, "Even Distribution". 

Unlike bezo, who made a nice step-by-step file, mine is a bit messy because the backup Null originally wasn't intended for you. 

I've recorded a 20 minute tutorial tonight on doing your arched window (just the frame). I'll have to edit and render it yet. I'll do that some time tomorrow or on Friday. The video will also show how I use the Even Distribution script. It's well worth getting if you do a lot of modeling. Otherwise distributing geometry more evenly is a real pain. 

Does anyone know if I can upload a video tutorial here at the Cafe? If not, I'll put it in my dropbox. 

Cheers,

contrafibbularities

• Like 1