hobbyist

Rectangle Selection Tool 'Glitch'

Hi folks,

Wandering if anyone would have any suggestions on what's happening in my C4D. I'm using R15 (have R14 installed too).  Used it for a short while before having to focus on some other things for a couple of years.

I've experienced issues with certain tools (rectangle selection & loop selection). Disabling OpenGL resolves that issue. Since getting back in to C4D I just get in a habit of enabling OpengGL and disabling when using those tools. 

Looking at others users specs though, I don't think I should be experiencing these issues? When first bought C4D I had some ATI Radeon GPU. Have since bought GTX970. The same 'glitch' appeared with both GPU's.

My CPU's a bit old but it still handles nearly everything I put it through. Have an upgrade PC arriving in the next couple of weeks.

The troubleshooting done to date is uninstalled all drivers, reinstalled and kept up to date. Uninstalled C4D and reinstalled onto the HDD. Just tonight have reinstalled R14 to the SSD. 

Specs are:

Windows 7

CPU: i7-920

RAM: 24GB DDR3

Mobo: Gigabyte EX58-UD5

GPU: GTX 970

OS installed on 830 SSD - I've just installed R14 on the OS drive and still has that glitch after uninstalling it from the HDD

R15 installed on HDD

This is what I see when using the rectange select tool:

1091051497_artifactsonscreen.thumb.JPG.064bce4e1ce9043582d143dfcf8575fa.JPG

The screen will flicker as well

978961343_flickeringscreen.thumb.JPG.35611b30cb00ca83d37273f0e0d64304.JPG

OpenGL Capabilities

961351649_openglcapabilities.thumb.JPG.6ff480c193168730c17ab4459ba8f43d.JPG

With OpenGL disabled

1384219108_opengloff.JPG.9335864fd4c439e83ac70a9a6c557b1d.JPG

• Topic Author
  • Absolutely craziest thing...it's working now!

I done some messing around in the Nvidia Control Panel. This is nuts. Screen flickered a few times and it's actually working now.

Only took me 5 years.

This kind of issues is almost always linked with GPU drivers. (too old, too new, not fully compatible) Maybe not recommended, but if cinema works well with current driver, you could stick with this driver for longer time. (  :wackywink: Let´s test new drivers others and then when they´ll be satisfied, update yours.)

• Topic Author
  • 100% problem was with the GPU. 

I performed a deep uninstall of Nvidia. There were some registry entries from AMD/ATI that the uninstall tool removed. Then done a clean install of latest Nvidia driver. (This actually freed up 10GB on my OS drive!).

Unfortunately I made a bunch of changes in the Nvidia Control Panel from watching a few YouTube videos, that I don't know exactly what fixed it. 

I was browsing internet when both screens went black and then back , except the Windows theme changed to Basic :compHate:  I went in and changed theme to Aero. Opened C4D again and the tool was working like normal with OpenGL on. I was floored.

Unless there was a delay from when the new driver was installed for that to take effect, so it could have been an old driver causing it. Since the issue began occurring when I had the Radeon AMD, it must have been an incompatible drive there. Doing the normal uninstall didn't clear it out until using the uninstall tool last night. 

Totally chuffed about it now though. It's like getting to use C4D for the first time again. 

• Like 1

Do you have any more insight into what fixed this?  I had the latest nvidia drivers installed but I then used DDU to uninstall them, followed by various releases of the drivers with no success.  I'm still getting this problem.  Any guidance would be appreciated.

Cheers.

• Topic Author
  • Sure thing!

I'll stick up a few screenshots of the settings I played with. I'm unsure which one of these actually resolved it though, but hopefully you can compare and see if there's anything you could apply to your setup. 

Just be careful if you do change anything, what works in mine might not necessarily work in yours. 

Right click on the Nvidia icon in the tray thing to bring up the Control Panel option

1 - Nvidia Control Panel.JPG

3D Settings

2 - Adjust 3d settings.JPG

Manage 3D Settings - Global Settings

3 - Manage 3d settings.JPG

Manage 3D Settings - Global Settings

4 - manage 3d settings.JPG

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • Just to update this. My upgrade PC arrived with GTX 1080 Ti.

Installed my R15 and experienced same issue as mentioned in the first post. I applied most of the changes to the Control Panel (I left max pre-rendered frames at default).. and it worked! :lol:

• Topic Author
  • I went to run Cinebench R15 and got this "OpenGL Reference Matching Test Failure" error. 

1760853215_CinebenchIssue.thumb.PNG.0f40b140500664bafac59499c869656f.PNG

In order to get Cinebench to work I went back into "Adjust image settings with preview" and selected "Let the 3D application decide"

499387867_Adjustimagesettings.thumb.PNG.6376cf42dd431a9d9311cdf4dc6ee647.PNG

Cinebench then worked a charm. Only thing was the 'glitch' resurfaced with the rectangle selection tool, so I then applied the different settings in the earlier posts to get that working again. Just relieved to know what to changes to make to get my C4D up and running.

• Like 1