• “Great art picks up where nature ends.”  Marc Chagall 

Sign in to follow this  
Fish

How do I get back to ectrude?

OK.  No rant just a practical question related to previous rant.

I just split some faces off of a mesh, extruded them down but forgot to cap the back end of it.  Now I can't find a way to re-access that extrude to add the cap.

There is no way to do this?   What I wound up doing was "fill poly hole", then I had to solo it and use the line cut tool to put back in all the topology.

Please forgive my impatience,,,It's like I'm suddenly trying work left handed & blind. :(

As I said in the other post, C4D does not have a history stack / doesn't do procedural modelling. You can either undo things and do it again or model things back in like you did.

Sounds like you would be much happier in Maya. BTW Modo that I now use has procedural polygon modelling. Adding the cap would just be a matter of going back in the procedural modelling stack and and editing the relavent extrude. I gather Houdini is even better.

Hi there

I saw your last posts, I feel the frustration in your posts.  If your fighting againts the grain that much then if you have your old perpetual licence for Maya then stick with it and use C4D for the other areas where its strengths are.  You will get used to doing things the C4D way if you give it a bit of time, and although its not the best modeller out there the UI and stability makes up for some of what it lacks depending on how technical your modeling things.  I found for organic modeling C4D feels more comfortable to work in despite its strange ways of going about some tasks.  For anything more technical id head over to MODO including doing all my retopology work in there.  It would be nice to have it all under one roof but that is not going to happen so work with the best tools you have that suit your logic.

Do a few more models within C4D and then your know where your at.

Dan

• Topic Author
  • Hey, thanks.  Yah my Maya subscription has about 6 months left on it.  I figured that would be enough time to get comfortable with something new.

When that ends I might go back to to maya 2013.   I mean honestly.  There's a reason Maya is still the Industry standard and I can tell you that reason ain't cognitive bias ; ) 

54 minutes ago, Fish said:

Hey, thanks.  Yah my Maya subscription has about 6 months left on it.  I figured that would be enough time to get comfortable with something new.

When that ends I might go back to to maya 2013.   I mean honestly.  There's a reason Maya is still the Industry standard and I can tell you that reason ain't cognitive bias ; ) 

C4D was my second choice to Maya coming from being a MODO user, it was the ending of Autodesk perpetual licences that made that happen.  I havent use maya for a whole project as I didnt want to spend too much time in a app that I will never be able to afford to keep going so I cant really compare. (my use is both professional and personal)

When my daughter was on her Creative media course, she had to use Maya, and this gave me some time to brush past it.  I found its modeliing tools to be extensive, thorough and to work as id expect, but because I knew C4D so well compared I had to stick to what I knew to help her in which her course tutor was happy with as long as it ended up in Maya by the end.  I managed teach her and help her to model, sculpt, rig, animate,  a character, apply dynamics, hair and render the short animation all within C4D, and from the whole experience doing this it was the modelling that had me feeling like I was running my nails down a blackboard, yes I can pop into MODO, or even Hexagon for some modelling but Im trying to move fast, quickly building  in the scene Im working in.  I did hit some brick walls along the way but I got around them. 

All in all C4D has its draw to me based on its simplicity to complete what otherwise could be a much more complex tasks.  The simplicity or as some may put it "ease if use" comes at a cost at times, and that cost is having to bolt on if available what C4D should have naively.  HB Modeling scripts is a good example, True Symmetry although not perfect was significantly better in its operation, no longer for r20.  X particals, and a 3rd party render engine in my case Vray, and Uv software such as Unfold3D.  Iv had to get many plugins to get C4D to fill in the missing links but I see MAXON is trying to fill these gaps with Pro renderer.  R19 did see some enhancements in the weighting, and the inclusion of PSD correctional morphs, but they are on catch up as these have been in Maya for a very long time.  I  started with a modeling program called Hexagon back in 2003, in many respects its still ahead of C4D in the modelling department, I paid $1.99 for it.  Modo is in the other direction, often too complex in its steps to complete more simple tasks, and for me has a more clinical feel to it.  C4D fits bang in the middle, and thats why I use it, and will continue to.

Dan