Sign in to follow this  
theBlues

Xpresso - procedural Knit Machine

Hello, fellas.

I need some help here, because after certain point it's beyond my abilities for now to make this setup proper.

The concept is developed by this gentleman here - Matthias Wincklemann from FMX 2016

Knitting

If you browse my scene you'll see that I've managed to complete most of the ideas here, but the main problems remain unsolved:

* Is it possible to offset every single tracer's animation - Without new set of effectors  for every new tracer object - as in my scene (He suggest that it's all driven by 4 effectors)

** and secondary - trying to replicate all the tracers in a matrix grid manner (to get more rows vertically) - the last point of every row gets inverted (H flipped 180°) , which I couldn't fix.

Anyhow, if anyone's interested - take a look at the scene (R19) and you'll see where I'm stuck.

The point of these setups is to drive everything  in a procedural manner, otherwise it doesn't make sense to copy like 200 sets of effectors.

Also a preview of the system with several rows.  Preview

Regards

Knit_machine.c4d

Hi

Your scene is very complex and this throws off people from helping you out. Additionally I am not sure what exactly you are after? It would be best to reduce your scene as much as possible and state the goal of what should happen so we can offer solutions...

Free C4D trainings from MAXON professional on our youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/c4dcafe

• Topic Author
  • Yes, I  agree - I'll shave it down to the point and throw some screenshots to make it simpler.

Took a stab at it as I think I get what you are after. I believe that instead of using super complex multiple objects it is better to bake the "morphed" object which is source for splinewrap (made by matrix and inheritance trickery). This way you can simply clone the resulting mesh and offset the time with effectors. There is original setup from which I baked the input mesh and simple cloned grid with time offset in step effector. Hope that this is good enough to get you going :)

Knit_test.c4d

• Topic Author
  • First, thank you for putting your time, I know it's kinda mess.

I'm aware that clones with keyframes can have time offset by effectors (random/step..etc)

but I think this is not the way to go here .

I agree that this problem has other solutions - bake/alembic and so on, I'm just curious is it possible to be done fully procedural - looks like it is.

Let me start over - attached is a very simplified setup - only the green Null (inherit_Effectors) has 2 keyframes - up and down.

The concept he suggest: -

*make a single matrix morph between these 4 positions

*make a tracer object referencing this matrix

*copy the tracer multiple times with "space --> local" so that he can be moved into the scene

And here is the trick that I'm not sure how is achieved - the copies of the tracer are all referencing the same matrix - how can i control every single tracer when and where exactly

to start the morph.

If you watched the video from the specific time, you'll see that the rig is somehow fully parametric - no baked geometry

Regards.

Sorry no time to watch the video. There are couple of ways for it to be completely procedural. First is to have baked input mesh with PLA because effector time offset can work only on animated values. Second is not using clones which is not optimal because you need to use Xpresso and iterators and everything has to be real geometry, meaning no instances or clones. Third is to clone absolutely everything as shown in scene file. Another way which is probably most difficult but leaves you completely procedural is to build your own L system rig with MoSpline with geometry generation + Xpresso&Python. Not simple at all...

Knit_cloned.c4d