cj bravo

COLLAPSIBLE FLEXIBLE BOWL

Hey there,

trying to collapse/fold an exiting object like a collapsible bowl - silicone-like material.

i've tried using the mesh deformer and a lathed spline as cage.  I've added a bend to the spline but result isn't nice.

I'd like to animate the fold...

bag b.jpg

Untitled.png

I replied earlier. Where's my reply gone?

Never mind, let's try again.

I take it that it rolls down from the top, yes? In that case, do it like this. Just move the Bend Deformer up and down to get the roll-down. Note that the Path for the Lathe is set to Subdivided. File and example attached...

Roll Cup.c4d

• Topic Author
  • hey!

yes my bad, apparently the delete option in moderation actions does not delete the comment but the whole post... my mistake.

I wanted to comment that I already have the object id like to roll down which has a mesh deformer. so I used a lathed spline with bend to act as the cage.

Its not working so smooth but im not sure im doing it right..  the bent rim (orange) is not faceing the right side.  its bending out which is right but  its facing the wrong way.

Untitled2.png

Untitled2.png

I would redo such a simple object (as it is in my example) rather than endlessly fight what you have. For the lip detail, you can use simple Displacement and you're good to go.

By the way, bear in mind that my example is just a quick lash up so you can fettle that as required to get the silicone thickness and the width of the fold-over etc.

• Topic Author
  • yeah I guess thats how its gonna be..

btw the next step i'm trying to get is to basically close the bowl with a clip (as in pic).

how's you attempt that?  soft body / mesh deformer?  

the whole object should imitate a flexible silicone material...

kneading-A.jpg

The new image you posted, I read it wrong to begin with so I did a version that closes the rolled down cup. Having looked at the image again, I suspect the closed off version shown is a different object so that we have a cup and a bowl together (as opposed to an open and a closed version of the cup side by side). Doesn't matter though, the principle is the same. I've just used an FFD Deformer on an editable version of the object. So just apply that to the other object, if, indeed, it is a new item. The version attached below just has an extra step which is a switch in visibility between the Spline/Lathe version and an editable duplicate.

Again, note the version attached is a quick lash up so you'll probably want to fettle it a little to get a bit more finesse in there.

Roll Cup.c4d.zip

Hey, I didn't see this duplicate post.  I was replying to you over here: 

• Topic Author
  • Hey guys thanks you both of u !

it looks like i'm gonna try to model the bag from scratch as u both suggested...  I'm a solidworks kinda guy but I guess this is a good opportunity to model a bit with c4d.

So i've got a few questions.. in both examples you used a 'cloth surface' - what does it do??  and 'correction' in Nates file, what's that?

one last thing.......  

after I got the sides rolled down, how's you pop-up the bottom dome?  basically inverting it upwards?  mesh dofrmer? fff?

thanks again!

Hey, sorry for the delay.  In mine the Cloth Surface is just adding some thickness to the mesh.  It's great for this kind of thing where you want a little thickness, but don't want to mess with all those extra polys.  As for Correction, it's typically used to access individual points/faces in parametric objects.  You can use it to deform a parametric sphere, for instance, without making the sphere editable.  In this case I'm using it to send the points over to the Mesh Deformer for the cage mesh.  You may or may not need this workflow depending on how you model your final bag/bowl.  If you're just using a parametric model like the one I made with the Lathe and adding surface details with displacement in a material, you probably won't need it because your model will be animating already without any Mesh Deformer. 

I did just notice in my last file that there is a hole in the bottom of the bowl.  I fixed it by adjusting the spline in the Lathe and putting the Lathe in a Connect to weld the bottom center points together.

To pop up the bottom, I'd use a Pose Morph (under Character Tags) on the spline.  See my file below for an example.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1t2HtpNdMTyOhKIZNOiCHmIXrw-KOI_Ir/view?usp=sharing

202522673_BagBowlv6.gif.6b691ae03b558cd1e8c8a6354df516eb.gif

• Like 2