Sign in to follow this  
BigAl3D

Xrefs and Materials **Workaround**

I have a couple of projects that would benefit from using Xrefs instead of importing the model into the main scene. So the issue I'm having is I need to adjust one of the materials. OK, fine so I edit the original project with the model in question. Save and close project. Nothing I do seems to update that material in the project that I added the Xref to. Seems like this should be automatic.

If I click on the Xref object in the object manager, I see a button down below that says "Reload" but it's greyed out. In fact, all the options here are unavailable. Is there a button I'm missing somewhere?

Is referenced xref object to model with materials correctly?

Try add new xref, add reference file (file to your model with textures) and in Options... (bottom right button) check Import tab if enabled "Materials" option

Press "Open for Edit" in master scene (you´ll be switched to file with model with texture), change texture on model, save and close and in master file press "Reload" button for this xref

For me works as expected...

• Topic Author
  • OK now it seems to work. Not sure why it wasn't before. The other thing I forgot to mention was I'm using Corona materials, but all is good now. Thanks for your reply.

• Topic Author
  • I spoke too soon. In my scene from the original post, I ended up adding the Xref again and everything seemed to work. Now, after adjusting some  lighting in the scene, I went to click "Open for Edit" and everything's greyed out again. If I'm doing something wrong, I don't know what it is. If this is a bug with Xrefs, then it's utterly useless.

Hard to say...

When you open Xref Manager and expand all, do you see all referencies (materials included)?

To Corona materials... Not sure if are (fully) supported extrenal renderer elements, maybe question to betatesters (which had access to bugs database I think)

there's a bug in xref objects that messes up the file path after a while, resulting in the greyed out reload button. but luckily there's a fix: every time you add an xref object and loaded in your file, you need to change the xref file path from relative to absolute. in the xrefs options there's a tab "file" with a "relative" tickbox. untick that and you're good to go.

• Topic Author
  • Thanks for the answer. Is this bug still present in R20? I just got it yesterday, but haven't tried anything yet.

4 hours ago, BigAl3D said:

Thanks for the answer. Is this bug still present in R20? I just got it yesterday, but haven't tried anything yet.

can't tell, i haven't really worked in r20 yet, at least not with xrefs... but my guess would be that it's still present. it's been around since r16, so i'd be surprised if they fixed it in r20 :D

just remember to untick that box each time you create an xref, and you'll never get the greyed out buttons again. a little annoying to do those extra steps every time, but you'll get used to it. ;)