Rectro

Ornatrix Hair Fur plugin for Cinema

• Topic Author
  • 3 hours ago, BigAl3D said:

How is this plugin better than the built-in hair tools? Just curious.

Hard to say in full at this point as Iv only been looking at its features over the week end here n there.  Right off the bat I would assume that this works with all other non Studio versions.  Aside from that a few things I picked up on was you can generate and control hair off polygon strips, it has its own dynamics, and has a anti collision for both the hair and of course the object.  It has a quick flow arrow system that lays down the hair more so fur perfectly over the geometry.  Its viewport visual feedback shows the hairs much better.  It has a hair preset system.  Its own shader looks to be very nice, and it works with the top render engines.  Like C4D own hair system it can generate polygon strips, only you have control over its shape, and flow direction so the hair cards have a slight curve in them.  Of course with C4D you can use instances for similar effect.

From the looks of it the outcome is better regarding how hair does not intersect, and its dynamics look to be solid.  Because its used in big industries its prooven itself to produce the results.

C4D hair system is fantastic, no doubt about it, and  will see for myself when I beta test it soon how it compares.  For non Studio Users this is even more of a bigger deal.

• Like 1

On another forum (german) the 3 main differences were described as:

- A layered approach to grooming

- Gpu acceleration = viewport performance?

- Access to groom every single hair

• Topic Author
  • 3 hours ago, zeden said:

On another forum (german) the 3 main differences were described as:

- A layered approach to grooming

- Gpu acceleration = viewport performance?

- Access to groom every single hair

@zeden  thanks for the extra  info.  What is meant by "Access to groom every single hair"?  Do you mean that instead of just grooming the guides you can groom the hair that is generated?

Dan

i'll have to give this a spin once it comes out. i really hope it sucks, so i don't have to spend another 500$ on plugins ;) but i highly doubt that.

giving fur an initial grow direction without having to groom anything is a feature c4d hair should also have, saves so much time.

the c4d hair system is great, but precise control is hard to achieve and relies a lot on guessing and trial and error (which guide influences what strand of hair). also in the collision department there's a lot of room for improvement i think. my hardest task with c4d so far was to get the braided tail on my eva fresh character, for which i needed a plugin (spline guide) to make it happen. but then i had to give up on animating her because the hair just wouldn't stay where it belongs, the more frames went down the timeline, the more hair slipped out and the whole tail began to dissolve slowly. i wonder if there's solutions for something like that in ornatrix. 

• Topic Author
  • 1 hour ago, everfresh said:

i'll have to give this a spin once it comes out. i really hope it sucks, so i don't have to spend another 500$ on plugins ;) but i highly doubt that.

giving fur an initial grow direction without having to groom anything is a feature c4d hair should also have, saves so much time.

the c4d hair system is great, but precise control is hard to achieve and relies a lot on guessing and trial and error (which guide influences what strand of hair). also in the collision department there's a lot of room for improvement i think. my hardest task with c4d so far was to get the braided tail on my eva fresh character, for which i needed a plugin (spline guide) to make it happen. but then i had to give up on animating her because the hair just wouldn't stay where it belongs, the more frames went down the timeline, the more hair slipped out and the whole tail began to dissolve slowly. i wonder if there's solutions for something like that in ornatrix. 

Yes Iv found the same with all the things you mentioned, but the Comb tool does let you push all hair in a direction, but its just not smart enough to get it spread in  a nice flow as shown in the Ornatrix C4D demo but I will have to see for myself.  Ornatrix had a braid system in the older version but now they have a easier solution which initially C4D wont get, along with some other features to start with, but will be added during beta and onwards.  Iv have been in communication with Marsel this week and from what I get from him is this is not just a  port over but a very well thought out truly reliable robust hair solution for C4D based on latest version of Ornatrix.  I think its going to be a significant plugin for hair and fur. According to Wikipedia MAXON had made a great hair system 2005, and considering it was made back in 2005 shows how well their hair system was thought out back then.  2007 the hair was optimised, I could not find any more enhancements to the hair system since then, but that may not be the case.

Having Ornatrix come to C4D is a good thing but at the same time could let MAXON not bother making any additions to its own hair system for a while longer mean while costing the user another $499 on top of the package if they want a more enhanced hair system.   On the other hand very good for non Studio users as their MSA is much cheaper than Studio users.

Dan

Hi, yes they say you can work the hairs and not only the guides. 

That initial hair flow around the meshes comes from maps. You have to paint them manually with ornatrix tools 

• Topic Author
  • 31 minutes ago, zeden said:

Hi, yes they say you can work the hairs and not only the guides. 

That initial hair flow around the meshes comes from maps. You have to paint them manually with ornatrix tools 

So Ornatrix comes with its own map painting tools?  What other map support does it have such as density, length?  I noticed when looking at the feather features in a bird video that feathers dont actualy get produced but feather like shaped cards, is this the case I wonder?

Dan

Hi Dan,

I am only stating what other say...I did not use I it myself. So I do not know if it is true. If you take a look at this video I have to say it looks very very similar to C4D Hair workflow.

https://vimeo.com/265312075

• Topic Author
  • I think for me to have direct control over the hair this means a huge deal.  To be able to produce hair from polygon strips is another big deal as is the ability to make braids.  It has a normalise feature to force intersecting hairs away from each other and along the same direction as the rest of the hairs.  The arrow direction control is very nice indeed too.  It looks like C4D own feather system has more control and uses a dedicated system to create the barbs with full curve control.  Also C4D seems to have more brushes but at the end of it all if the result is better, or faster, and the dynamics are more reliable then its worth a look I think.  Al speculation at the moment and it may take a while to get all Max features but at the end of the day its in development, C4D hair system as far as I can tell is not.

Dan