Sign in to follow this  
CraigT

Best way of creating textures

Hey everyone - 

I've been using a C4D for a few weeks and have run into a challenge I was hoping you get help me resolve. I downloaded a model, but the texture is scrambled (see attached). What is the best way to create new UV Maps for the model that I can color in Photoshop?

Thanks so much!!

HE-111_FUSELAGE_FRONT_BaseColor C4D Review.png

I'm wondering why you would want to paint on a 2D map in photoshop.  Back in the day it offered more control with filter and brushes and such, but now we have substance painter, 3dcoat, zbrush, and the pro version of photoshop which can all paint on the 3D surface with great ease and accuracy.  The lowest cost option being a $20 a month fee to substance to use substance painter.  A good deal if you only need to use it for one month.

If you do want to repack the UVs though to make them neater or whatever Unfold 3D seems to be a great option with easer of use.  Houdini has some great control as well.

Providing the UVs are not overlapping, and are optimal, then I second what Fastbee said, Substance painter is such a joy to use, it will get you such good results that would take a very long time by a very experienced artist to get simular results.  Unfold3D, will get you better UVs in which less time than doing it inside C4D.

Dan