Macurt

Voronoi dynamics won't settle

Hello good people!

I'm trying to use Voronoi fracture to shatter a piece of glass. The pieces fall to the floor, and should settle realistically, but about half come to a stop, and the other half keep dancing around as if driven by some turbulence. Super weird! See attached clip.

Does anyone have any tips for me?

Thank you!

Urt

friction and bounce in both tags have an effect , but more significant are the linear and angular damping settings, you may have to animate those in at the appropriate point.

Deck

• Topic Author
  • Hey @SoftDice

I never figured it out, but I played with the damping, simulation substeps and seed until I reached something acceptable. However, I never got it to where I was happy with the results. Really strange behaviour, I wonder if it's a bug.

Hm, have no issues with your scene. Can you post an example where dynamics won't settle at all? This is usually just a matter of finding proper collision shape and simulation settings

This will always happen and that is why any simulation is costly to be correct. To rectify one can increase sampling, collision shape and damping, which are solutions you guys already found...

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • @HSrdelic

Sorry, I should have clarified - the scene file I attached was the version I ultimately used where I made the pieces bigger, and totally dampened them at the end. Which "works" but it doesn't look correct at all.

@SoftDice I'll have a look at your scene file as well.

On 11/29/2018 at 8:41 PM, HSrdelic said:

This will always happen and that is why any simulation is costly to be correct. To rectify one can increase sampling, collision shape and damping, which are solutions you guys already found...

@HSrdelic

So I guess that the only way to achieve "realistic" fractures in my scene, is with more samples on each frame? 

Because damping isn't really a solution good enough imo.

I haven't really figured out how collision shape works out since I'm kinda green in cinema, but I'll take a look at it. 

Thank you so much!