Sign in to follow this  
sajrusx

Chocolate cookies/cakes/bars modeling

Hi everyone. I couldn't find this kind of topic anywhere in the web so I want to start one and maybe you will be able to help me out. 

I want to continue my pursue on modeling cakes, chocolates, ice creams etc. And my actual guru on this topic is Andre Caputo. 

I've asked him about his works - but he is not very talkative about this (I know it's his professional work so I do understand him). 

I would like to create this kind of models. And I know it's made in zBrush - I made several models of chocolate with good results, but maybe there is an easier way to do it - My try is here: 

Modeled in zBrush and textured in Mudbox - and composing in Cinema 4D. 

https://pro2-bar-s3-cdn-cf1.myportfolio.com/48351c60041f03709016cd4ad3383959/2ee1279e6846f207c4910853_rw_1920.jpg?h=e924c4a111081ed71f2744b929691890

And I would like to sharpen my skills and get this results:

And I know about sculpting rocks to sharpen skills in zBrush, etc. But I don't quite know how to get this sharp and crisp edges when cutting a pie, cutting a chocolate, how to make displacements on sides etc. Maybe you have some tutorials, ideas, documentation how to get this kind of results. 

https://www.behance.net/gallery/70232747/3D-Illustration-Protein-Cookie-Finland

https://www.behance.net/gallery/47626237/3D-of-Chocolate-Bars-Serenata-Greece

https://www.behance.net/gallery/47003753/3D-Letters-to-Habibs-Summer-Campaign-Brazil

Thanks!

Well, it's hard to help here simply because it's mostly up to you and your senses/skills for things like that. Its super easy to model but you need a personal touch to make it right. Best approach for this would be practice, practice, practice. R20 has a new feature called OpenVDBs which could be a potentially great tool for things like that. It's really up to you!

| MAXON Quality Assurance | 3D Artist | C4D Cafe Manager | Gamer in Heart/PS4 ID: SIgor420 |:compEnjoy:

This can all be done with simple modelling and displacement. You would benefit greatly from R20 OpenVDB - try the demo!

For example, it is easy to make cream now. Maybe it is not exactly what you are after but gives you good idea

Cream.c4d

Free C4D trainings from MAXON professional on our youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/c4dcafe

• Topic Author
  • Oh yes, I will try VDB for sure! I tried Houdini a bit and I know how powerful it is. 

And I know that modeling chocolate might be easy - but what about texturing the sides?

Or how to make displacement to seamlessly blend into the hard surface like on this example and then texture it also seamlessly?

01.jpg

1 hour ago, sajrusx said:

Oh yes, I will try VDB for sure! I tried Houdini a bit and I know how powerful it is. 

And I know that modeling chocolate might be easy - but what about texturing the sides?

Or how to make displacement to seamlessly blend into the hard surface like on this example and then texture it also seamlessly?

01.jpg

Looks like 4 layers to me.  Inner biscuit, outer chocolate, toffee, and loose chips.  Each can have its own displacement.  I don't see any seamless textures on that image, each layer has its own surface.  If it is one peice then your separate them from proper edges loops between the layers, and high quality UV maps into their own islands.  The Toffee would for sure be a separate piece.

PS:  As you have zbrush you can make a clean model in C4D from very basic shapes, Uv map each layer on its own island, then within Zbrush group my UV.  Select these groups one by one and sculpt it masking or hiding other groups.  Your then have each layer with its own details on ready to bake into a displacement map.  Again down to good UVs you can make a material selection set for each surface.

In picture below iv not tried to copy the above I cant without a mouse or pen, on my laptop.  Here your see the basic layering having their own detail.  You would also apply colour infomation the same way.  Your need good Uvs as well.

Dan

layers sculpting.jpg

Although again nothing like your target quality you see in image below when displacement map is made it looks like two layers with two different surface textures.  As for clean cuts in a pie, model the pie with a cylinder cut your slice out, add thickness, and fill the gaps, then over to Zbrush to rough up the edges.  mesh extraction will give you the thin layer of chocolate around a object if you need that.

Dan

layeers c4d.jpg

layeers c4d 2.jpg