Jump to content

Node based materials repository


Recommended Posts

On 10/9/2018 at 11:12 PM, HSrdelic said:

Of course :)

ok then, is SSS shader possible?  Bevel shader? Ocean with foam shader? :)

 

1 minute ago, mbyrne said:

much better than documentation which is totally dry

Not only that is poorly done, it is missing some nodes. Notice that triplanar node is not in the docu. This indicates that R20 was rushed although I haven't had single crash with nodes so far but dfid experience some glitches.  I would like to have some real world examples of triplanar, in range, compose/decompose matrix

Link to post
5 hours ago, HSrdelic said:

You have to manipulate UV's - here is a quick stab at it :)

Clone.c4d

It's the manipulating UV's that most interests me,  I think,  with the Nodes.    I need to learn the features of GET CONTEXT,  which are eluding me at present...:wallhead:

Link to post

Okay,  I'll submit one!    It's the first good "trick" I've learned on my own using Nodes.

The Triplanar Node is allowing you to assign 6 different colors to an object---   a simple Sphere---   based on the Sphere's 6 local axes orientations.     Four pure white Lights are shining on it.    If you can do this with colors,  imagine what you can do with bitmaps or generated procedurals...    Things can get real fancy,  real quick!    :wow:

No big deal,  really,  but it's my first little "breakthrough" with Nodes.    :lol:   (The circular plane beneath is textured with an ordinary Material)

 

ras

 


triplanar colors.c4d

 

1576078455_triplanarcoloredsphere.thumb.PNG.c356053ebdb67408aea5ca83256d567d.PNG

Link to post
5 hours ago, rasputin said:

Okay,  I'll submit one!    It's the first good "trick" I've learned on my own using Nodes.

The Triplanar Node is allowing you to assign 6 different colors to an object---   a simple Sphere---   based on the Sphere's 6 local axes orientations.     Four pure white Lights are shining on it.    If you can do this with colors,  imagine what you can do with bitmaps or generated procedurals...    Things can get real fancy,  real quick!    :wow:

No big deal,  really,  but it's my first little "breakthrough" with Nodes.    :lol:   (The circular plane beneath is textured with an ordinary Material)

 

ras

 

 

Check the attached images to see the main difference. The object is a heavily sculpted plane with hige UV distortions, in the triplanar-off image you can see the stretching very obviously. In the triplanar-on image you can see that there is no stretching, though the transition frome one projection to the next is slightly visible. The main advantage is that it takes practically no effort. Check triplanar01 for an example where a simple tileable wall image produces something that works as a secondary item in a scene within seconds.

Triplanar-off.png

Triplanar-on.png

triplanar 01.png

Link to post
12 hours ago, lieber said:

ok then, is SSS shader possible?  Bevel shader? Ocean with foam shader? :)

I would say so, but I am afraid this exceeds my capabilities, at least SSS shader does, although fake SSS is possible with AO. As far as Bevel shader and ocean shader that would be doable, will try :)

Link to post

SSS is not in the books due to some technical limitations that we can hopefully overcome in the not to far future. Bevel shader has some legal aspects due to patents, the basic technology to implement it is there though. Ocean with foam is something realy complex and i honestly don't know if the node based materials in their current form are capable of it. An approximation is very doable though, but still a lot of work to create it in a usefull way.

Link to post
1 hour ago, srek said:

Ocean with foam is something realy complex and i honestly don't know if the node based materials in their current form are capable of it. An approximation is very doable though, but still a lot of work to create it in a usefull way. 

I think the same. It would be a lot of work for situation specific scenario that is light and environment dependent...

 

Link to post
10 hours ago, srek said:

Check the attached images to see the main difference. The object is a heavily sculpted plane with hige UV distortions, in the triplanar-off image you can see the stretching very obviously. In the triplanar-on image you can see that there is no stretching, though the transition frome one projection to the next is slightly visible. The main advantage is that it takes practically no effort. Check triplanar01 for an example where a simple tileable wall image produces something that works as a secondary item in a scene within seconds.

 

 

 

Very cool,  Srek!  Yes,  I do see the difference.   I shall have to use the Triplanar Node to avoid stretches in texures.

Link to post
On 10/11/2018 at 1:19 PM, srek said:

Bevel shader has some legal aspects due to patents

Patent? how can that be patented? :lol:

If I am not wrong, modo and blender have them. Who is patent owner?

Link to post
  • Igor featured and unpinned this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...