I've had this issue ever since I started modeling a human head for the first time. Everytime I try to model it, I keep getting bad placed polygons. When I look at some pictures with modeled human head I can see the polygons being extruded and placed in a very proper way, while I always get either too many polygons that don't fit with the other areas such as the eyes, or nose.
Screenshot_3.thumb.png.4c614eb74c9bc0ca4f2a729d62fa89ea.png

I just don't understand how other people can model the faces without much trouble, while I can't even model a mouth. for me, modeling a body is no problem, but when it comes to head modeling, its just too much for me, also, when I try to look up for some head references to model from, I always find areas that are not simetrical between the front and the side. ex: the left eye from the side has a different shape than the front one.

Of course, I always think how should I extrude the edges, how to start modeling the face and all, but when I try the idea, I never get the expected results as I have thought.

How can I learn about how to start modeling a head in a proper way?

Hi

First thing id say to you is "Anatomy"  you need to understand volume, and proportion from common land marks.  Second is edge flow.  This comes down to partly anatomy and partly to animation, in either case for a clean flow of polygons you need to consider both.

A popular way people learn these days is to sculpt first then lay out the polygons over the top either by retopology using the poly pen, or build around the model using box modeling.  The Human head is a project all of itself, it needs such attention and is more complex than many would think.  The foundations are the skull, if you want realistic heads then learn the skull, make a skull.

The body you have there contains too many polygons for animation, but may be ok for sculpting.  The body needs its own edge flow too, and that means, you guest it learning anatomy.  Back onto the head I set down priority loops around the eyes, mouth, jaw, then fill in the gaps.  Its not easy but there is tons of videos out there that teach you.  Blender artists have some good training, Il pull some screen shot up later this morning.  If  its not in C4D  that dont matter, I learn my modelling from Maya, Max even when I had neither program, the basic tools and methods are the same.  

Use a good aligned up reference bring it into C4D front and side view, and use the poly pen, thats how I do it and get good results.  Bellow is from a old model, but even from that it has the basic topology.  Here is a break down.

1: With form the edge loop around the eyelid, be careful not to include makeup, its easy to make the eyelid too large.  (Tool Polygon Pen)

2: Make a eye.  if you make everything to scale this becomes easier as the human eye is normal the same size 24.2mm, as in the image below.  Your need to understand basic anatomy of the eye for this to get the Sclara (white of eye) Eyris (colour of eye), Pupil (hole in middle of Eyris) Cornea (front lens of eye that has a bulge)  once you have that made you can then form the eye lid around the eye.  Your need to know more about the anatomy of the eye lids form of the tear duct area, and the caruncle which is a separate peice although you can model it in, I prefer not to.  This has reference to the Lacrimal bone of the skull, but thats enough on that.  The outside of the eye corner pushes back further than the tear duct area, in fact the tear duct area pulls forward a little.  You must get this right.

3:  The mouth form is based off the teeth, the teeth K9 normally is at the corner of the mouth in line with the nose wings.  Again you need to start from with it flat then move the verts as like the eye lid to form it in perspective view.  (Do not move on until you get each part the correct curvature)

4: Mandable (Jaw) edge loop right up around the ear, across the forehead.

This is only the basics, but you get the idea that loops must be in place, avoid tirangles, and Ngons, use Polygon Pen, Smooth, Pull, brushes, and soft selection.  If you watch this playlist, although its not a tutorial, your see how I used the very method I explained above.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2_ResYD_0o&t=0s&index=2&list=PLX3Exw-MrjLOyIin_KdQsyBm2T88ecPyk

Here is a good example of modeling from another app, where you can apply it to C4D.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcjT-wGYVns&index=6&list=PLCF8C2CA7D76785B7

Dan

1 eyes.jpg

2 mouth and face.jpg

3 full head.jpg

face front muscle close.jpg

• Topic Author
  • I watched a few of your videos and I got really impressed by that. Also, the body I made was not subdivided entirely, it was under a subdivision surface so I can see how it would look subdivided.

ok, I'll try your idea and see if I can get any good results

4 minutes ago, ToodelDare said:

I watched a few of your videos and I got really impressed by that. Also, the body I made was not subdivided entirely, it was under a subdivision surface so I can see how it would look subdivided.

ok, I'll try your idea and see if I can get any good results

Start with the eyeball 2.4cm, 24mm, then from the front image reference make the  caruncle.  If you put these two in place then your have a great start to form the eyelide around the eyeball and caruncle.  Also rotate the whole lid so the top part of the eyelid over hangs the lower.

eye lid.jpg

• Topic Author
  • Screenshot_3.thumb.png.d8dabdecaa063ae270ce0e35ee623999.png

I began the same way you did, and it seems like the face might look pretty good later. 

Also, for me its best if I do things the simpler way so I can get used to it and then model it smarter in the future. I really want to thank you for helping me out. 

Also, I can never find a good head reference that has the exact alingment on both views. And this one was the least perfect. I am no artist so I can't make myself a reference :/

Always made sure you have the loops in place, one loop around the eyes and mouth is not enough.  Iv made a video for you on modelling the eyes.  There is no audio as Im not well, but your see how I place each loop.  Avoid trying to place a huge polygon to fill the gap, try to keep the polygons as square as possible.  Il post the video as soon as it uploads.

As for references, you need to get a good front and side view then align them in Photoshop or another 2d app.  Align the corner of eyes, mouth chin.  The ears cant be aligned in all cases as the head may be slightly tilting up or down which raises or lowers the ears in perspective.

Image below is not ideal, but thats all I had at hand on this laptop.  The front view shows head is tilted slightly up as to the placement of her ears are low.

Dan

ps align.jpg

Sorry for video delay, I wasnt happy with the edit, Im a perfectionist.  Even a quick video has to be to a certain standard,

Dan

• Topic Author
  • The video is not available, it says that its removed by the user. Also, I think I might, somehow, be able to model myself a unique face and head, I just need to wait for the right day, which I don't know in what day my modeling skills will come back.

Video on its way, my laptop takes ages to render.

Here is the video, it will take till Youtube process it.

Dan

• Topic Author
  • I finally managed to understand the modeling way, never thought it could be that easy to model a head.
    Screenshot_3.thumb.png.169f667219e66c94c6166d504d2a51e8.png
    Thank you for your help :D now I can model myself a good looking head without having any mistakes. But first, I need to get used to it because this one took me longer than other modelers

Topic solved

Thats great your able to move on.  Just a quick tip, try your best to use as few polygons as possible, its way easier to manage.  Also at times I pre calculate the target polygon loops need  then divide it by 4, if you then use that number you can model the base mesh very low and then sub divide it once, then continue you add the details, just another way to work.

Here is a good resource.  http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/FaceTopology

Dan