mistamista

Trying to attach clothing to rig/object

Hello all. I've recently hit a wall on this and need some ideas. I have studied over 20 posts here and still haven't found a solution to my issue. I've created a character, used the character rig tool to set up animation and now I need to change the clothes. I've been trying to use the cloth simulation, but the collider body seems to cause c4d to crash...even if I reduce the poly count. I've tried to rig the clothing with bones and dynamically link them to the skin for deformation, but it just doesn't look correct.

So, how do I take a rigged character, and add clothes without cloth and still get reasonable animation to the clothes when the character moves? I was going to attach a scene, but it is over 25MB...so here's a link to the zip for your review. Any ideas would be helpful. Forgive the bone rig. It was tossed together to give you an idea of what I'm currently seeing.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AngeaYbIyEwFiAMd86gGElXFitE-

I'd rig the cloths to the same joints the body uses for the most part.  The only part I might use cloth for is the little flap at the bottom.  To make it look better you can add some textures with creases or subdivide and sculpt out some folds.  The folds should then look about right when the bodies bones move..  If you did want full body cloth you would have to use Marvelous Designer or Houdini for it to not have the cloth go all over the place when the person moves.  Even for the flap on the bottom it is good to make a low poly object specifically for the cloth to hit it to get the cloth physics looking right.

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • Good suggestions. I'm getting a reasonable fabric flow, but I'd love to get the kind of interaction that I get when using a cloth rig. Is there a way to use a low-poly proxy to function as a cloth collider?

I've never used Marvelous Designer. Is it worth the investment, considering that 90% of my work doesn't involve clothing or rigging?

7 hours ago, mistamista said:

Good suggestions. I'm getting a reasonable fabric flow, but I'd love to get the kind of interaction that I get when using a cloth rig. Is there a way to use a low-poly proxy to function as a cloth collider?

I've never used Marvelous Designer. Is it worth the investment, considering that 90% of my work doesn't involve clothing or rigging?

The surface defromer would give you that low poly proxy mesh solution.  Make a basic cage mesh of the body, apply surface deformer to the proxy mesh and the target as rigged character.  Apply cloth collider to the low poly proxy mesh, and the cloth belt between the cloth and proxy mesh.  I assume you want to do this to get some distance between the cloth sim and the body of character as to avoid intersections?  Your need out bring up the itterations for that cloth sim.

Marvelous Designer is expensive as a for 10% of your use for a perpetual licence, but there is rent options.  Marvelous designer dont just make the simulation fast and perfect, but its such a good way to create clothing in detail, with buttons zips, pockets, that process of modelling clothing takes way longer and wont look as nice.

Dan

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • Thanks so much for the wisdom. I never thought of outsourcing the clothes...but it makes a lot of sense. What kind of mesh should I build as my cage? Do I loosely block it out with minimal subdivisions or would cylinders connected to the higher poly mesh be my best bet?

The cage should be larger than the mesh slightly, and be low polygon, this will speed up the simulation and depending on the topology and polycount it will give you more limited predictable deformation.

Dan

• Like 1