• Topic Author
  • More and more I think the blue light on the raven was good idea. 

on bust of Pallas.jpg

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • Shall be lifted....

working on the last shot, 50 shots in total over 9 minutes. In this one I want the man to be in the heart of the bird's shadow. I have a buffer object on the raven so I cna play with it's colour and visibility in after effects later.  I am also going to try the camera slowly spining over the scene until to fades to black. 

After this I have to go back over the previous shots. I've been doign that all along but there is one more recent shot I am still not happy with. Then final corrections and add english and french subtitles which I haven't done before but the latest Final Cut X seems to make that easy enough to do. 

shall be lifted.jpg

• Topic Author
  • I think I am done!  4-5 solid months of work. This time I added both English and French subitles.

https://youtu.be/W9KWKgqZvb8

Mostly Cinema 4D basic stuff used, but I did use Xparticles for the snow and embers.

I made the spectre effects by rendering the woman seperately, using buffer objects to  make sure her image was blocked by anything in front of her and added her in After Effects.

I kept with my sort of stop motion look I use for all these gothic horror tales.

I had issues with the cartoon character object Everfresh made, I think it's just too flexible for these sort of solid characters and will likely go back to Cactus Dan's toools no they are aviable again for less cartoon-y moving characters. 

At nine minutes it's double my usual short length. 

Editing in Final Cut X had become so easy and fast lately and it made adding the subtitles super simple. 

Keeping it interesting was not easy, it's just a guy yelling a bird in a room for most of it and i didn't want to go all abstract and pyschdelic as I had seen in other versions.

I hope people like it, it was a lot of work and I think it's one of my better efforts. 

Edited by CApruzzese
    can not remember how to show video in post
    • Like 1

well done. I really like the ghostly image of Lenore and the Raven.  pace is good and story telling as always spot on.

oh side note: did people really speak that way in mid 1800's?  I know some of the Raven is prose, still there would have to be a similarity to speech patterns of the time, or I would believe so.

• Topic Author
  • 8 hours ago, bobc4d said:

well done. I really like the ghostly image of Lenore and the Raven.  pace is good and story telling as always spot on.

oh side note: did people really speak that way in mid 1800's?  I know some of the Raven is prose, still there would have to be a similarity to speech patterns of the time, or I would believe so.

A lot of this poem is more stylized speech or usng symbolic or somewhat obscure words for effect. I dont think many people used quaf instead of the word drink and nepenthe was just as obsure i think. It is a poem and not a story so he has more leeway with language i think. I read a lot of stuff from the early 1700s on so its more familiar sounding to me i bet. 

Thanks again for the kind words. I was pretty aprehensive about doing such a well known and well loved piece. Keeping it intestesting in such a limited setting was a big challenge.