utiq

Too many clicks to select a controller

Hi, I rigged my character using the Character tool on C4D, it's a basic biped. The problem is that when I try to click on the controllers to rotate or move them, I cannot easily do it, check the video to have a better idea.

first off, create layers for your elements, so you can hide or lock some of them. for instance select all your joints in the object manager, right click and select move to new layer, call that layer joints and hide it. then select all the mesh geometry, do the same and name the layer geometry. that layer you will want to lock instead of hiding it. seems like you have a floor in your scene, put that into a layer named scene and lock it too. now it will be much easier to select your controllers. also selecting controllers with the move tool instead of the selection tool works much better. btw, you can also create a visual selector object where you have an extra interface to select your controllers, best to search for a tutorial on how to do that.

• Like 1

Another maybe useful choice could be using selection filter. If there is some "mess" with selection of multiple kind of objects etc. in selection filter could be "disabled" for selecting some types of objects. For example if you enable only Nulls, only null object could be selectable in viewport...

Since you may be new to rigging, it's one of the most difficult things to learn in the 3D world in my opinion. Don't get discouraged, just keep at it and learn everything you can.

You should have controllers in your hierarchy which are easy to find. Many people create easy to select splines (see below). Others the visual selector. Another tip is once you find the one you need often, drag it from the Object Manager right onto your viewport. You will now have a shortcut right on the screen. Very handy for many things.

I posted a shot of a rigging video by the late, great Cactus Dan. See how he put a C for the chest controller, an S for the shoulder and an H for the hips? Easy to select. I don't remember how he connected them, maybe just a simple PSR Constraint. His videos live on here at the Café. They use his plugin, CDTools (based on a Maya workflow), but there is still a lot of good knowledge to be learned from his videos. They are very detailed so be prepared.

Cactus Dan's Tutorials

Cactus Dan Riggin.jpg

DragAndDrop.jpg