Sign in to follow this  
Didar

modelling problem

Hello guys. these 2 polygons belongs to same mesh. i need to connect them with a cylinder shape and highpoly. so when i use polygon pen between them it will be a rectangular shape obviously. can we put a cylinder as child and connect objects and delete? is it a proper way? cause need to run physics also afterward. i think can encounter issues...

also i dont want to put subdivision surface on whole mesh. can u guys please help me here? also attached the file . Thanks

image.thumb.png.492f60c0556e212cc85e768c518962d9.png

image.thumb.png.b14be2429a1c2941443a27777c7bf043.png

you always need edge counts to match and align to get a continuous surface - so make them the same and then you can fairly simply place a tube in between the 2 polys

connect.jpg

• Topic Author
  • 11 minutes ago, mikeh said:

you always need edge counts to match and align to get a continuous surface - so make them the same and then you can fairly simply place a tube in between the 2 polys

hmm great tutorial.

image.png.be9a257724d9efe33c816614676d9fa1.png

so first i selected this side and used commanad> subdevide. as you see the polygons around the selected area changed a little. That is fine in modelling? can't cause issues later like uneven surface or physic problems?

Thanks a lot Mikeh ^_^

9 minutes ago, Didar said:

That is fine in modelling? can't cause issues later like uneven surface or physic problems?

No, it is not. It contains a lot of triangles which can cause problems if your surface gets deformed.

Try to change them into quad so it becomes a nicer mesh.

• Topic Author
  • 9 minutes ago, maliohammad said:

No, it is not. It contains a lot of triangles which can cause problems if your surface gets deformed.

Try to change them into quad so it becomes a nicer mesh.

so I dissolved some lines and slide two points. hope this is fine now? or should even continue make quads in near polys?

image.png.f44e1a0e10967624df7ef66f538b6c7a.png

Just subdivide the entire mesh, not just the poly and you won't end up with triangles - like maliohammad said you don't want many triangles, in particular long skinny ones

Try to keep an even mesh with not alot of really small polys or really big polys, and avoid n-gons and triangles as much as possible

Dynamics will be happier this way - and also make sure your surface normals are pointing the correct direction - so any dynamics interactions are hitting the front not the back

• Topic Author
  • 4 minutes ago, mikeh said:

Just subdivide the entire mesh, not just the poly and you won't end up with triangles - like maliohammad said you don't want many triangles, in particular long skinny ones

but i wanted to avoid high poly model. as i mentioned i dont wanna use subdivision surface. if subdevide whole mesh cause for example 16 edges cylinder... that cant be same as subdivision surface? it makes physic a lot heavier right?

technically the more polygons you have for dynamics to calculate yes it will take longer - but in your case you are ending up with too few and too large of polys, and could likely have problems with dynamics - dynamics needs a nice even mesh of polys to work it's calculations

you are seeking the right balance of enough polys for good dynamics, yet light enough to not bog down. As few as possible should not be your goal.

40 minutes ago, Didar said:

it makes physic a lot heavier right?

You can make dynamics use a low poly proxy object (usually with much less details) just change the dynamic shape to mesh.

• Topic Author
  • 2 minutes ago, mikeh said:

technically the more polygons you have for dynamics to calculate yes it will take longer - but in your case you are ending up with too few and too large of polys, and could likely have problems with dynamics - dynamics needs a nice even mesh of polys to work it's calculations

hmm thanks. so my previous polys were fine with physics and were doing my purpose. so now can use only those 16 edge poly and others remain just like before? only make sure there are quads everywhere?

• Topic Author
  • 2 minutes ago, maliohammad said:

You can make dynamics use a low poly proxy object (usually with much less details) just change the dynamic shape to mesh.

i did the mesh deformer approach if you mean that... and still it goes slow if i subdevide whole shape :/

anyway i have old pc it will be slow all the time for me :D

2 minutes ago, Didar said:

if you mean tha

No, I didn't meant that. 

Under the dynamics tag you can set the dynamics shape.