Sign in to follow this  
JBlack

Lighting Animation - like rock concert

Hello everyone.

I'm currently working on a project that aims to make/control flashing lights (in this case just fluoro tubes) to the beat of the music. Sound Effector is out because it's just not sharp enough. there's too much "Noise" I also need more precise control.

So, For me, with my knowledge, I have had to try to use keyframes. Boy, that means a helluva lotta keying :/ I could use the Beat Shader if it went above 200 BPM, but it does not. The song is 125 BPM so for double time flashing I could have used 250BPM, X4 = 500BPM, and so on. Then just switch that material or object on and off as required. If I was more skilled in Programming, scripting and formulas I could probably make my own kind of beat shader. But I can not do that. I do not have the knowledge.

So, can anyone help me out by thinking (or knowing) of a better, more efficient way?

Here is a demo of what I have done so far, Its very basic, just a proof of concept type thing. If I have to stick with keyframes, the only thing I would do differently now uses the Luminance intensity at 0% or 100% to switch on and off. Instead, I actually used the enabled switch in the Basic Tab. I can not add Tangents to those keys to ease in and out. With the basic tab its just on and off. Either way, I'm really hoping there's a better way to do this. Oh, I own R16, but also have regular access to C4D R19 on a friends machine (maybe R20 by Xmas :D)

Anyway Here is the Demo video:

• Topic Author
  • Because I made the song myself, I can render separate audio tracks for each instrument in my Audio Workshop. I might try doing that, then use the Sound effector along with the  Color Shader or colourizer (i don't remember which). But ill have to nut that out a little. I've only worked with those shaders a couple of times. So I'm not sure what effect that will have or how well it will work. but while I'm waiting for any potential responses to my request for help, ill try to see if I can get a good result with that method.

• Topic Author
  • OK, its not exactly what im after but I have discovered you can view the Wave Form of a track within the KeyFrame Timeline. The Dope Sheet looking one. not the NLE looking one on the viewport (wish you could put it there as well)(Perhaps that would be a good new feature in the futures). Viewing the Wave Form within the timelines, sould, in theory, make keying easier. Im having a crack at it right now :D