heysprad

Shopping for New Computer

Hello, I am shopping for a new computer and have two questions. 

1. What is the best computer to purchase (specs and all...I'm very low tech when it comes to computer shopping so any details would be helpful!) for operating Cinema 4D?

2. If I am wanting to purchase an Apple computer AND stay mobile (so a MacBook Pro), what specs would you suggest with this? I am thinking about the 15" Macbook Pro and am wondering what upgrades are necessary and which ones will not be worth the money. 

Thank you! 

Most computer are great for most things c4d can do just so long as you have enough ram.  The slow down is when you go to render.  I highly suggest something in the RTX series from Nvidia if you want to render using Cycles, Redshift, Octane, or another GPU render engine.  Even though render engines are not using the Tensor cores now when they do you should see a 6-8x speed boost with the RTX cards.  If you want to go CPU with Vray, Cycles, Corona, C4D standard, or physical, etc. something with a threadripper probably would be best.  Even if you don't do the final render on your pc having a faster GPU or CPU helps with the preview when tweeking to get the preview looking nicer better.

If you are really set on a macbook pro there is only one choice really.  Not much you can do about it.

14 hours ago, heysprad said:

1. What is the best computer to purchase (specs and all...I'm very low tech when it comes to computer shopping so any details would be helpful!) for operating Cinema 4D?

This is like asking what is the best car to drive which can give you options ranging from $5K to $5M. Need to know a lot more information about your experience and the work that you plan to do. In general, 3D work can be one of the most demanding applications, therefore the more hardware you throw at it, the better. 

14 hours ago, heysprad said:

2. If I am wanting to purchase an Apple computer AND stay mobile (so a MacBook Pro), what specs would you suggest with this? I am thinking about the 15" Macbook Pro and am wondering what upgrades are necessary and which ones will not be worth the money. 

I would avoid a laptop as your primary C4D workstation. It's a great option as a companion to a desktop, but not the best for any serious work. Are you a Mac user and prefer to stay in the MacOS or does that not matter?

I would delay any Mac purchase till the keynote next week, and generally advise against a laptop unless rendering is a secondary concern. 

With a bit of luck they will finally unveil their new Mac Pro and most importantly the gpus that will work alongside.

Choosing the right gpu nowadays is as important as the cpu, if not more, and Apple is lagging behind in this field.