Shibby

Rounded Edges at Render Time??

Hey crew! I'm working on a project with complex triangulated models straight from a manufacturer (originating from STP files) and most of the edges on the models are SUPER sharp and not very beautiful.

I don't have the time to remodel everything and add small bevels, so I'm hoping to find some sort of workaround similar to vray's Round Edges tool

Do we know of anything similar to this using C4D physical renderer?

Thanks!

There are two possible ways.  One is under the bevel deformer there is an option to restrict the bevel based on the angle.  Under the bevel deformer you have to be in edge mode and turn on "Use Angle" then change the angle threshold to your liking.

The other way would be dependent on the render engine you use.  Some have the option directly and others you might have to so a work around.  They all basically work the same in render engines which is they take the pointiness of the object and use that to apply a normal map that makes the edges look less pointy.  I didn't play around with R20 nodes that much, but from the little I did play with it I think it should be possible to make such a rounding edge shader.  In cycles there is a bevel node, but also you could do it with the pointiness.  In Corona they have a
"round edges" you can put in the bump channel.  Maybe a combo of the bevel deformer and the shader would work the best.

• Topic Author
  • Thanks guys! I'm going to give both suggestions a shot

• Topic Author
  • @bezo Having trouble installing the edgeshade plugin. Can you give me a quick rundown of where to drop the files in that .zip?

Thanks!

Simply put  unzipped plugin folder where you have installed other plugins. If you did it, you will find it in materials. Open some material, enable Normal channel and from dropdown list (small arrow next Texture) select edgeshade/soft edge. What is important, for Normal channel set Method parameter to "World" instead of default  Tangent...

• Topic Author
  • 2 hours ago, bezo said:

Simply put  unzipped plugin folder where you have installed other plugins. If you did it, you will find it in materials. Open some material, enable Normal channel and from dropdown list (small arrow next Texture) select edgeshade/soft edge. What is important, for Normal channel set Method parameter to "World" instead of default  Tangent...

Ah, thank you!

• Topic Author
  • @bezo One more thing! Have you been able to figure out how this works with Node Materials?

3 hours ago, Shibby said:

@bezo One more thing! Have you been able to figure out how this works with Node Materials?

I saw a video where I think the same technique could be used to make a nodal edge shading, but you have to remake the nodes in C4D.  After remaking the nodes so it works the same you would put a normalizer on the end to get the corner rounding.

Here is the video.  Please post the file if you do get it working.

https://youtu.be/KHiZfy5OlO8