rfanoni

Best basic After Effects training?

After many years basically being a C4D stills guy, I'd really like to start adding After Effects to my workflow for more for 2D animations.

Can anyone recommend any good paid training for a beginner?

In term of tone-of-voice I really rated 3D Fluff and MILG 11  C4D training. Whet are the AE equivalents?

Thanks in advance!

Well, if you have a budget I have over 20 years experience as an Adobe Certified After Effects Instructor - I'm based in the UK, but Amsterdam is just a short hop away. 2 days would enable me to get you up and running. If you want to go from 'zero to hero' budget 5 days.

Send me a PM if you want a quote : )

• Topic Author
  • Hartelijk bedankt meneer Snake.  And MikeA too - although I don't think my casual budget will stretch to a weeks personal training TBH :).

Any more recco's appreciated.

Understood : )

There's some good stuff on Lynda.com .  You used to be able to get a free 30 day trail, not sure if that's still available - but it would be worth a look.

If you have time for a long-form class (i.e. can take your time and learn it fully), School of Motion is probably the best out there because you'll do real project-based learning, real interactions with instructors and other students, taught by people who have worked in the industry, lots of assets to work with and test out, etc.  It's a little pricey but probably still less than a 1-on-1 trainer. Not as individualized attention obviously but you're going to get more out of it than a typical Lynda course. Especially if motion graphics and traditional animation is a big part of what you want to do.

FXPHD used to be a good one for the same reasons  but they've allowed their AE and C4D classes to languish for a long time now; I don't bother to check there anymore but can't hurt to look. Last I checked they were still offering R14 training as "current" recently as the R19 cycle.  That said, I'm not sure what their AE library looks like right now. But my guess would be outdated.

Can also recommend PluralSight. Better than Lynda IMO in terms of features and format but a similar "reference library of courses" type site. Their library isn't as large but it's more specialized. Their courses are more about how to handle real-world production workflows start to finish than generalized reference courses. That said haven't been to Lynda in a couple years so maybe they've changed. Never was a huge fan though.

You can also learn a lot for free by going to Video Copilot, watching the tutorials then working through the examples. Only downside there is most of them are directly related to the products they sell, so those will be mostly useful if you want to use one of their plugins like optical flares. Also his style is very different. Bit of a ham / cornball type but very talented and tries to keep it fun and interesting. One of those guys you can tell really loves what he does.

• Like 2

If your on linked in, you can get 30 days trial of their premium service which comes with access to Lynda, similar to above.

Deck

Probably worth mentioning adobe TV here too, as well as all the complete documentation they have for everything.