Visionnext

Vray for C4D now by Chaosgroup

1 hour ago, BigAl3D said:

So I'm not sure if Chaos buying Corona and V-Ray for C4D is good or not. I love Corona, but am a little nervous about its future. Corona seems like a strong competitor to V-Ray. Why buy them other than to squash the competition? Autodesk has managed to buy up a bunch of 3D apps, and so far, has kept them separate, but it doesn't make sense to me to put all that money (R&D, engineering, marketing, support...) into separate apps that essentially do the same thing.

Adobe gobbled up GoLive Cyberstudio way back when. The already had Dreamweaver, but I thought GoLive was better. They killed GoLive and "merged" some features into Dreamweaver. Never was the same.

I mean, what can V-Ray do that Corona cannot? Will the be targeted at different markets? Seems like people are producing the same type of images from what I've seen.

V-Ray bought Corona because Corona was taking their market.  They are both CPU render engines and Corona is way faster with way better quality.  I hope the Corona people got a ton of money because they could have stole all of V-Ray's customers.  Smart move by Vray though.  Bad news for anyone that wants to use Corona for C4D as they will probably have to pay a yearly fee as the Corona for 3DMax people are doing now.  If you want a good render engine you don't have to pay yearly for go Cycles, Redshift, or Octane.  All 3 of these should see an 8x speed boost from Tensor cores on the RTX cards which will make them faster $/image then Corona.

@Fastbee I own Cycles 4D, but on my AMD Mac Pro, is not fast at all. Even when using the GPU and the CPU. It hasn't seen any updates at all for a year while X-Particles is cranking along. I'm not switching to PC any time soon, so I'd have to get an external GPU box with Nvidia to use any of those engines. Plus, there are some limitations in rendering with the GPU engines. Not sure if it's enough of an issue to make any difference to me, but that's what I've read.

The Max version of Corona isn't expensive as it is right now. You can get it for a year for only $340 and three nodes. Not bad at all really for someone making money with it. Only one render node is not good though. I guess we'll see.

If Chaos Group offer Vray C4D with a perpetual license I'll probably buy it. I tried Corona beta 2 and it is very fast and easy to use but I already broke it, plus again as It's rental I wont be buying  it.

4 hours ago, BigAl3D said:

I mean, what can V-Ray do that Corona cannot? Will the be targeted at different markets? Seems like people are producing the same type of images from what I've seen.

After only spending less than a week with Corona my initial observations are that Vray gives you much more scope with the options you have in many areas.  The multipass has more passes than Corona, there is no reflection strength texture slot which I found odd.  The Skin material isnt half bad, but can not compete with the Alsurface for realistic skin, but is better than Vrays own Fast SSS2, and skin material.  As of yet Iv not found a way to render glass without GI, this may not be a issue for some, but for some works I like to use just areas lights and no GI.

On the positives for Cornona its significantly faster, has a much easier method for denoising which can be dont post automatically after the render or saved into a special file with its noise cache.  It has a external post editing tool which is basic but gives you the ability to denoise at that stage.  Corona has its own node editor.  Im not sure how you would set up some materials that iv had to do before as Vray advanced material has significantly more options, use along with the blend material you can control everything.  Vray comes with a vast number of power shaders, and procedural shaders, Vray is much more advanced, you just got to look at the render settings, materials, and multi pass, however that comes at a cost of a steeper learning curve.

Corona is much more simple and easy to get nice results, in my eyes its a winner for its balanced simplicity with scope to go deeper with its node editor.  If you in for ultra realistic humans, Vray wins, but Corona is not that far behind, but enough it leave you wanting that little bit more.

2 hours ago, Fastbee said:

-Ray bought Corona because Corona was taking their market.  They are both CPU render engines and Corona is way faster with way better quality.  I hope the Corona people got a ton of money because they could have stole all of V-Ray's customers.  Smart move by Vray though.  Bad news for anyone that wants to use Corona for C4D as they will probably have to pay a yearly fee as the Corona for 3DMax people are doing now. 

AT the moment Corona has a Box version which is their person of perpetual.  Iv been told they want to remove this option, I think its a bad mistake as this could be something they have over Vray, a perpetual option.

10 hours ago, BigAl3D said:

@Rectro Just curious, was your experience with Corona the fully released Max version, or the Beta for C4D?

Im using just the Beta for C4D. Everything in my tests are all Corona beta.

Dan