Visionnext

Vray for C4D now by Chaosgroup

I seems that Chaosgroup is now directly taking over the Vray for C4D as a major Vray plugin and providing a new release 3.7 at the same time. So let's hope that these are good news and result in an even better Vray integration into Cinema 4D.

https://forums.chaosgroup.com/forum/v-ray-for-cinema-4d-forums/v-ray-for-cinema-4d-announcements/1015768-v-ray-3-7-for-cinema-4d-is-now-available

https://www.chaosgroup.com/vray/cinema-4d

Its very good news for those who can afford to rent it, very bad news for those who cant, and sure way to divide their customer base pushing out the hobbyist, and pulling in the big studios.  Good luck to them. Im sure Vray4C4D will get its due attention to its development.

Im still glad I got in on Vray when it was affordable, but sad to be stuck at v3.6 as I was looking forward to Vray Next, this also means Ornatrix is off my books now which its a great shame as I quite liked the beta, my Vray 3.6  will never see the additions needed for Ornatrix. 

Dan

• Like 1

For a long time I was want to try Vray since at the beginning (as I start with c4d) wasn´t too much other external renderers in the market. I missed it...

And with this news looks like not try. With new owner and changed price politics it is not for hobbies (like me)...

...everything changes (and not everytime for better)...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bezo said:

For a long time I was want to try Vray since at the beginning (as I start with c4d) wasn´t too much other external renderers in the market. I missed it...

And with this news looks like not try. With new owner and changed price politics it is not for hobbies (like me)...

...everything changes (and not everytime for better)...

The problem I faced was I dont like and will never like any rental system for software unless its a rent to own, Im fine with that.  Vray unlike almost all other render engines does two things well, Skin, and Hair.  Apart from a even more expensive option Arnold there is no other engine that can do both well, I will be looking at other options during the next year and hope I find one before r21.

Dan

• Like 3

• Topic Author
  • 16 hours ago, Rectro said:

The problem I faced was I dont like and will never like any rental system for software unless its a rent to own, Im fine with that.  Vray unlike almost all other render engines does two things well, Skin, and Hair.  Apart from a even more expensive option Arnold there is no other engine that can do both well, I will be looking at other options during the next year and hope I find one before r21.

Dan

I'm in a similar situation. If you find a good alternative, just let me know.

21 hours ago, Visionnext said:

I'm in a similar situation. If you find a good alternative, just let me know.

So far Corona is the next best thing and in some areas exceed Vray 3.6 in that it has a node editor if you choose to use that.  It has a dedicated skin and hair shader, Im going to perform some tests over the next week and if I can produce the same results as my Tyrion render from Vray then Im on a winner.

https://corona-renderer.com/news/corona-renderer-for-cinema-4d-beta-2-rc1-released

So far my very early observations are the Max version has a perpetual licence but they want to get away from perpetual so this again could squash this render engine too for some.  The second thing I noticed was its displacement options are within the skin shader and dont offer nothing even close to Vray quality and settings.  Im not convinced the skin shader will offer the same quality as the Alsurface in Vray and certainly not as easy to set up for the same results going by my initial tests.  I dont see any options for UDIMs either, but we will see.  This does not solve the problem that I wont be able to use Ornatrix, Corona is not supported.

Chaos group has perpetual licences for Max, Maya and Modo to mention a few, maybe if enough users get on to them they will do the same for C4D.  

Dan

• Namaste 1

• Topic Author
  • 1 hour ago, Rectro said:

So far Corona is the next best thing and in some areas exceed Vray 3.6 in that it has a node editor if you choose to use that.  It has a dedicated skin and hair shader, Im going to perform some tests over the next week and if I can produce the same results as my Tyrion render from Vray then Im on a winner.

https://corona-renderer.com/news/corona-renderer-for-cinema-4d-beta-2-rc1-released

So far my very early observations are the Max version has a perpetual licence but they want to get away from perpetual so this again could squash this render engine too for some.  The second thing I noticed was its displacement options are within the skin shader and dont offer nothing even close to Vray quality and settings.  Im not convinced the skin shader will offer the same quality as the Alsurface in Vray and certainly not as easy to set up for the same results going by my initial tests.  I dont see any options for UDIMs either, but we will see.  This does not solve the problem that I wont be able to use Ornatrix, Corona is not supported.

Chaos group has perpetual licences for Max, Maya and Modo to mention a few, maybe if enough users get on to them they will do the same for C4D.  

Dan

Sounds interesting! Let us know about your results. A node editor would definitely be nice. As I also focus on skin render (not as good as you are so far) I'm really interested in your results. Displacement is another important topic. To apply different maps to different selections would be nice, but I can live with UDIM support as well.

Thanks for your helpful tips and trainings

Walter

32 minutes ago, Visionnext said:

Sounds interesting! Let us know about your results. A node editor would definitely be nice. As I also focus on skin render (not as good as you are so far) I'm really interested in your results. Displacement is another important topic. To apply different maps to different selections would be nice, but I can live with UDIM support as well.

Thanks for your helpful tips and trainings

Walter

I would say try it yourself, I  tried the corona converter, it didnt work on anything from vray.  I tried different set up for my displacements they came out bloated, the skin material feels like a step back from alsurface as its not responding the same, and its default scale of 1 does not correlate to real world scale so this will need to be adjusted in the reverse to how vray alsurface has it.  So far there is nothing that translates from my Vray scenes to Corona, even the lighting values are much brighter than Vrays.  It is the case that the scene needs setting up from scratch, and new workflows will need to be developed and after spending some huge amount of  time getting it right in vray and not knowing if there will be a box/perpetual version of Corona Im going to just go off get back to my work and try to forget about it all.  Id rather spend my time on my craft in being a better artist

Im glad you appreciate my help and training Walter, keep going at it, keep pushing yourself, all the best.

Dan

• Like 1

Iv been trying Corona and can report that so far my findings are very hopeful.  Iv not put it through any of my latest works but what i had at hand, and the skin and hair are holding up well with a 8k quick n dirty displacement map applied I rendered a full body (nude) at 10k and was noise free in 42min.

Here is a crop.

KKNm1qa.jpg

Here is a censored version, cropped to 6k.

yu49977.jpg

• Awesome 1

5 minutes ago, Visionnext said:

I would love to see your Tyrion rendered in Corona.

By the way, thanks for the breakdown on YouTube!

Tyrion, funny you say that as I spent a few hours last night setting that up.  Got a few things to deal with then Il post it up.  What took 6hs with Vray noise levels takes 1hr in Corona.

Dan

• Like 1

So I'm not sure if Chaos buying Corona and V-Ray for C4D is good or not. I love Corona, but am a little nervous about its future. Corona seems like a strong competitor to V-Ray. Why buy them other than to squash the competition? Autodesk has managed to buy up a bunch of 3D apps, and so far, has kept them separate, but it doesn't make sense to me to put all that money (R&D, engineering, marketing, support...) into separate apps that essentially do the same thing.

Adobe gobbled up GoLive Cyberstudio way back when. The already had Dreamweaver, but I thought GoLive was better. They killed GoLive and "merged" some features into Dreamweaver. Never was the same.

I mean, what can V-Ray do that Corona cannot? Will the be targeted at different markets? Seems like people are producing the same type of images from what I've seen.