EAlexander

Vray for Cinema now at Chaos Group

Finally! Thank you Laublab for making this plugin and supporting its users. Hoping for a strong polishing from CG on 3.7, then a "Next" version that's even better!

• Topic Author
  • I'm pretty committed to Corona, but Next for Maya looks so good, I'm hoping that will come to Cinema too. 

This is a great chance for Vray for Cinema 4D to get even better integrated, but Chaos Group certainly has to deliver something and make the transition smooth. The price tag definitely gets a lot higher, when you use some nodes.

No perpetual license?

For those like me on Mac, rendering options are getting really scarce: physical is terribly slow, octane/redshift  won’t work with AMD cards, Arnold costs an arm and a leg (rental only)....Another reason for me to jump ships, buy a PC and a redshift license...

please prove me im wrong but this feels like bad news for Mac users on a budget. 

• Like 1

On 11/2/2018 at 5:11 AM, Adrien said:

No perpetual license?

For those like me on Mac, rendering options are getting really scarce: physical is terribly slow, octane/redshift  won’t work with AMD cards, Arnold costs an arm and a leg (rental only)....Another reason for me to jump ships, buy a PC and a redshift license...

please prove me im wrong but this feels like bad news for Mac users on a budget. 

Cycles or Corona could be a good option if you want to use AMD or do a fast CPU render.

If we get the free Chaos group 3.7 license does that mean we won't be able to use it after January 15, 2020?

14 hours ago, Fastbee said:

If we get the free Chaos group 3.7 license does that mean we won't be able to use it after January 15, 2020?

That's how I understood it. Nevertheless the Vray 3.6 license is a perpetual license. For R20 users, especially on Mac, the use of 3.7 might be necessary. As I'm still using R18, I will continue with Vray 3.6. I may switch to a newer version with R20, but this will be limited to January 15th, 2020, unless I pay the yearly/monthly fee from then on.

12 hours ago, Visionnext said:

That's how I understood it. Nevertheless the Vray 3.6 license is a perpetual license. For R20 users, especially on Mac, the use of 3.7 might be necessary. As I'm still using R18, I will continue with Vray 3.6. I may switch to a newer version with R20, but this will be limited to January 15th, 2020, unless I pay the yearly/monthly fee from then on.

" owners of V-Ray for Cinema 4D 3.6 or earlier are entitled to a free license for the Chaos Group version (3.7). This license will include all updates, and it expires on January 15, 2020. "

The way I understood this was you get a free V-Ray Chaos Group 3.7 license that will expire on Jan 15, 2020, but you will also still keep your 3.6 licence if you decide you did not want to pay the annual fee.  It's like a 1 year free taster for all those that had 3.6.

14 hours ago, Fastbee said:

" owners of V-Ray for Cinema 4D 3.6 or earlier are entitled to a free license for the Chaos Group version (3.7). This license will include all updates, and it expires on January 15, 2020. "

The way I understood this was you get a free V-Ray Chaos Group 3.7 license that will expire on Jan 15, 2020, but you will also still keep your 3.6 licence if you decide you did not want to pay the annual fee.  It's like a 1 year free taster for all those that had 3.6.

Yes, but according to Stefan Laub, there is no functional difference between 3.6 and 3.7. Just a difference regarding licensing (keyfile versus licensing server).

No need to change to 3.7 for that, if you already use 3.6 with a keyfile. This will certainly change with C4D R21. You can only install one Vray plugin in a C4D version at one time.

On 11/2/2018 at 1:11 PM, Adrien said:

No perpetual license?

No offense, but isn't "Mac User" and "on a budget" in the same sentence a bit... contradictory?

• Haha 1

I'm excited CG will take over the dev, but the higher cost and only 1 node for a version that is only changing proprietorship and already built seems harsh. 3.7 should be perpetual so those of us VRay adherents can move to R20, then CG can work to get us on the NEXT version prior to R21. I can see having 3.7 expire only if it had come out BEFORE R20, but since it is after, we should be given perpetual access to the final Laublab version during the R20 cycle. It is perpetual with 3.6, but only up to R19.

As it stands, I guess I won't get to use VRay with Volumes until R21 and NEXT.