Sign in to follow this  
Pucette

Easy question on animation

I've animated a conveyor that's carrying hanging bags. The bags are held by two brackets that move with the bags. At one point, the brackets open and let the bags drop. Then the brackets keep moving with the conveyor, without the bag. The brackets and bags are grouped together. The problem is, when the bags are dropped, I don't want them to continue moving forward. But they are because they are grouped with the brackets, which continue moving around the conveyor. Can I tell each bag at one point that it is not part of the bracket-bag group? How would you do this? 

Screen_Shot_2018-11-03_at_6_04.32_PM.png

How about making them dynamic at that point so they just fall away, keyframe the dynamics to come on as the brackets open.

Sort of a workaround solution within my limited animation experience.

Deck

• Topic Author
  • This doesn't solve my problem. Since the brackets and the bag are grouped together, the bag will continue to move with the brackets, even if the bag has dropped.  

• Topic Author
  • I think I may have found a solution. I will try to use the constraint tag. It can be animated on and off. Maybe someone has a better idea?

• Topic Author
  • DOESN'T WORK. When I unable the Constrain tag, the bag goes back to its original position, at the beginning of the animation. Need another solution.

An alternative option if your set up allows might be to clone the cards onto the brackets rather than group them, then at the point where they drop you could put in some sort of effector to move them downwards.

Just a thought

Deck

• Topic Author
  • I think I pretty much got it, following the tutorial above. I put a dynamic body tag to both the bag and the conveyor. It works well but the bag is very unstable when moving on the conveyor and ends up falling off. Take a look. I've also made a few print screens of the bags dynamic body tag. 

https://vimeo.com/298849203

Screen Shot 2018-11-04 at 10.02.15 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-11-04 at 10.02.28 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-11-04 at 10.02.35 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-11-04 at 10.02.44 AM.png

Not sure bout the rest of it but some invisible sides on the conveyer might keep them on. Changing shape from auto to static or moving mesh usually gets better results. Bit hard to tell what tag is what from above. Increasing the steps per frame in dynamics tab of project settings will improve everything but slow it down a bit maybe.

Deck