Sign in to follow this  
marmalade

render looks bad

Ive followed this tut but for some reason my render looks absolutely .  Im not getting any of those nice reflections and highlights in the water. Mine looks a mess.  Could somebody please take a look at the file attached and advise where Im going wrong. I thought I was following it to the letter but something isn't right. Ive tried moving the camera and lighting around but still no good.  Also I have noticed in the picture viewer that the quality of the picture look bad with jagged edges etc. Is that normal or is there a setting.  Also attached a screen shot of picture viewer.

water drops.c4d

screen shot.png

Just having a quick look, you don't seem to have anything for your water to reflect, you have lights but they are omni lights, to see these as reflections you should go for area lights and check the box to show in reflection.

Alternatively put some plains in with bright surfaces for the water to see or drop in a sky for the water to see, that works quite well as it covers the whole area. The omni lights are a point source and so have no reflection.

Sky probably best option here or a HDR style environment / sky.

Ive used a displacer here to get some temporary ripples to see what going on.

Deck

Screen Shot 2018-11-04 at 09.37.18.png

• Topic Author
  • 5 minutes ago, deck said:

Just having a quick look, you don't seem to have anything for your water to reflect, you have lights but they are omni lights, to see these as reflections you should go for area lights and check the box to show in reflection.

Alternatively put some plains in with bright surfaces for the water to see or drop in a sky for the water to see, that works quite well as it covers the whole area. The omni lights are a point source and so have no reflection.

Sky probably best option here or a HDR style environment / sky.

Ive used a displacer here to get some temporary ripples to see what going on.

Deck

Thanks Deck. Changed the lights and  Its looking better.  Will try the other stuff too.