Scillara

Import/Export Formats

Hello everyone, it's been a while...

Lately I've been working on my second attempt to model a car (first was this: https://vimeo.com/278314625)  and obviously I wanted to do better.

IMPORT: vectors

I'm not familiar with vectors but, since they're not free, I'd expected to be better than setting up background references. From the-blueprints.com, you can donwload for free a vector and try out how they work and, I have to say, I feel like I'm missing something...because if all you get is a flat, scalable spline inside Cinema, I believe it's not worth the price. Sure, I cannot count how many times I zoomed in and tried to place a point in the middle of a pixelated line, but I was expecting something like additional detail or more references in the 3d space. I feel like the hard job in modelling a car is matching the curvature and the creases, and I was hoping vectors helped on that. So, am I missing something?

EXPORT:formats

Another thing is the output formats. I've been browsing around Turbosquid and I noticed that authors often offers a couple of formats: obj, fbx, 3ds...

What should I do to ensure that these files stay true to the original work? (example: i assume I have to make a simmetry editable)

What kind of information are kept? (on materials, UVs,etc)

Thank you,

Scillara

I feel like a lot of the model websites online have models that are not legal in that they are the copy-write of someone other than the original person that made it.  Most actual non rip off 3D models of cars would cost more than is on the blueprint website you posted.  I'm assuming the pictures are super accurate with their dimensions.  If it is it would make it a good stating point to make an actual 3D car from.  I'm not sure the exact legalities of selling a 3D model of a copy writed car you personally made in 3D, but you could then sell the 3D model of the 3D car you made from the 2D vectors on a site like turbosquid for like $100 or so depending on the quality.  Though you might want to post it on all the model selling sites because if you don't someone could buy it from the one site then post it on all the others to make money off of your work.

When exporting from C4D in the past to other formats everything was lost including sometimes geometric data.  Now I feel pretty good exporting to keep things.  Your are right objects special to C4D can't be exported.  What can be exported is geometry, materials kind of, UVs, Post morph if going to fbx, joints, joint weighting, and some animation data.  Materials won't look the same when going from one render engine to any other render engine or even the same render engine in a different program unless that specific render engine has some way to export their mats to a special format.

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • Hello, thanks for the reply.

The question of what is legal popped in my mind... I'm surprised that any car company allow this non-official model to exist. Such models could be inaccurate, misleading and damage the image of their product... Yet, apparently, making a statement about logo/brand ownerships is enough. I guess responsabilities fall on who buy the model and how he uses it.

About the export: in the matter of materials, the issue is that each program has his own set of information for them (and also calls the same information in different ways...color,diffuse,etc.)?

Would it make any sense to bake the texture of a material, even a plain one to keep the same look in different programs?

You have to remake the material for every render engine.  Between one an another they could even have a different scale of using the exact same color which would make it look like a different color.  It would make no sense to bake out a plain color.