kahanamoku

Why, OH WHY, does my pen tool do this?

Bezier curves follow the tangent handles, so what you're showing is normal. However, after you drag out the tangents, you should be able to manipulate them before you place the next point. I say 'should' because you're using R15 and I don't know if the Spline Pen has the same functionality as later versions. Anyway, to break the tangents for a sharp corner, you can hold shift. You can also right click the tangents for a few more commands. This can all be done while drawing the spline without having to exit the tool. You can also press Escape to exit drawing, make changes to previous points, then simply click the endpoint to resume drawing.

You need to use key modifier for live adjust tangents, in this case it is Shift key.

See attached video...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3oyleun13qdt3em/Spline_pen.mp4?dl=0

Workflow is...

click (add point) and drag (adjust tangents), click and drag, click and drag etc...it is normal workflow with curve transitions. If you need "break" curve, after clicking (adding point) and dragging (adjusting tangents) when satisfied with curve to the point, press Shift. Width still holding left mouse button and pressed Shift you´re able to adjust length and direction of "outer" tangent.When satisfied with direction and length, release first left mouse button and then Shift key.Then continue as needed...

...small inaccuracy you solve later when editing spline...

I had the same problem and it drove me nuts. I found this video on cineversity, which helped. It still took me a while to figure out that I was click-dragging instead of clicking to set the point to go straight. I hope this helps you figure it out. The part of the video you want is about 35 seconds in. It took me a bit to get it, but once I did, it was a breeze.

https://www.cineversity.com/vidplaytut/new_in_release_17_quickstart_spline_tools_for_drawing_sketching_smoothing

I only found out recently you can lock the angle or the length of handles in the attributes palette, oh so useful.

Deck