kbar

4D Paint is now Pay What You Want

This is amazing news for all c4d users...

...but why you didn´t reduce price as a first step. You spent a lot of time on those plugins...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bezo said:

...but why you didn´t reduce price as a first step. You spent a lot of time on those plugins...

Well, he just did !!!

You can now decide for yourself this "lower" price.

It is not as if he is giving away the plugin for free. To some it may sound like that, but that's not the idea behind it.

I have made a few plugins (non-commercial, for my own use) which I have provided to those requesting for it.

Not for free but for a "fair" donation. I am not going to list them here as I don't want to hijack kbar's thread.

Some do value the effort behind these plugins and have provided some donation, thank you.

But many (95%) just download the plugin and never hear from, no positive nor negative feedback. Do they actually use the plugin? No idea.

My intention with these "donation" plugin was the same as kbar's "Pay what you want payment model". I have since then understood that this simply does not work.

If people can grab it for free, they (... or at least most) will.

... which reminds me I haven't donated to the C4DCafe in a while.

• Like 1

I think one of the biggest problems is simply forgetting about it. Simply for this reason, whenever I "buy" something that is "pay what you want" I put at least a BIT of money in it. I think a lot of people just don't know if the plugin is going to be useful for them, so they download it for free, install it, use it or don't use it, but forget about actually paying for it as they see fit. I don't think a lot of artists intentionally download stuff for free, that's simply not the mindset a lot of us have.

Maybe not the best comparison, but ever since Steam became so popular a lot of people just straight up stopped pirating games because they have a convenient way of actually getting their products, and of course because the prices drop a lot after some time. For me this means that people WANT to pay for good products, but sometimes they just can't.

6 hours ago, bezo said:

This is amazing news for all c4d users...

Selling software or plugins like this is a tough thing because the user base is so small.  If you have the price too low you make nothing because the few that pay money will add up to nothing and if you charge a lot even fewer will buy it.  I fully understand why he was charging the price he was.

Thank you Kent for making it pay what you want.  While the tools seemed great in the past I thought I would export to 3DCoat rather then spend more money.  With it being pay what you want I'll probably throw a few $$ at it and use it to not have to go to 3DCoat quite so quickly.

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • Just a quick note... I am not stopping plugin development. It's just that with this particular set of tools I would rather see more people using them. 

I am glad to be back after a year knowing this good news. I'll be happy to give it a try as I a currently working on redesigning an online shop called petstreetmall. I am trying to change the images in the dog bath section, and I will be happy to hear your suggestion.