usbport

Cinema 4D mentorship

Hello everyone!

I'm a rookie in this vast 3D world. i'd like to explore it in great detail. Being a self taught software engineer, I learned the value of mentorship the hard way. I've used so many bad workflows, done so many stupid mistakes and wasted enormous amount of time fixing them.  In almost all cases, I didn't really understand what's going on and was missing some crucial logic needed to perform the task.  

Fast forward to today, and I am on a new very exiting journey. I've got 500hrs in the next two months, that I'd like to spend on learning cinema. My desire is to master motion graphics and photo realistic product design. These are some examples that I'd like to be able to create: https://streamable.com/gkyjy , https://streamable.com/yd6cz.

I looked at https://www.MAXON.net/en/training/online-learning/ for starting points and completed Lynda's "Essentials training" and Greyscale Gorilla's "Introduction to c4d", but I am left with more questions than I had before. There is so many settings and effects left that I don't understand as good as I should. Tutorials just jump into adjusting sliders without providing sufficient background on the topic. Often, many settings work hand in hand and I find myself randomly adjusting each one and hoping for a good result. Very reminiscent of my early developer days.

What learning path do you recommend that I take? What is an efficient way of learning realistic motion graphics? I really want an in depth understand of the tool, and it's many features.  Adjusting the sliders without knowing exactly what I am doing will just left me miserable. I have a little to zero background in 3D stuff, but I am comfortable with After Effects and Photoshop.

Thanks for all your tips. 

Cheers, Mitt

I feel your pain and was in pretty much same boat not so long ago. As far as learning path goes, I highly suggest Cafe trainings from hsrdelic, they are simply in different league to anything else I tried. He works for MAXON and is really gifted teacher, similar to Scott Pagano that does Houdini trainings. I never saw anyone using Cinema on that level :)

good luck and hope to see you share some AE and PS knowledge since questions around those tend to linger unanswered for longer periods..

Motion graphics and photo realistic product design, along with Cinema 4D is not something you can realistically master in two months, not even in two years. The good news is there is an abundance of quality training available, both free and paid. Tim Clapham from helloLuxx has always been a favorite of mine for training. I don't know of anyone who knows the app better than him. But there are many others of similar caliber. Search these forums as this topic comes up every now and then.

I find one of the best learning resources to be the Help manual found under Help > Show Help.  Go through each an every tool.  You could start with ones you see being used the most and move on to all of them.  It takes a lot of time to get good at this.

5 hours ago, Jimh said:

Tim Clapham from helloLuxx has always been a favorite of mine for training. I don't know of anyone who knows the app better than him

I respectfully disagree.  Helloluxx is very good for motion graphics domain but he is nowhere near @HSrdelic trainings. If you watched TD master course you will see why, there is nothing even remotely close to that in C4D land. I would say him and @srek know Cinema best since they work for MAXON and design it, followed by a  guy who presented some stuff on nab (can' t recall the name). The part about mastering the trade, that one you got right...

3 hours ago, mbyrne said:

I respectfully disagree.  Helloluxx is very good for motion graphics domain but he is nowhere near @HSrdelic trainings. If you watched TD master course you will see why, there is nothing even remotely close to that in C4D land.

I'd have to respectfully disagree back at you. I've bought all of Vertex Pusher tutorials and most of the current stuff, including TD master course. HSrdelic is great, love his stuff, but Tim Clapham is on a different level. If you had taken all his courses at fxPHD I doubt you would be saying that, he knows C4D inside and out. I've watched tutorials from 95% of the C4D authors, spent thousands of dollars over the last decade on tutes. Both authors are excellent, we just have different opinions, it's all good.

Jim

I never saw Tim being proficient at rigging, python or real high-end stuff (please point me to that training material if there is any). He is good at motion graphics, that is for sure, but there is no way he is better than him in general.  You surely have the right to prefer one trainer over other, but as far as pure amount of knowledge goes, hsrdelic wins hands down. If you know Tim ask him to state if he could do the all that is done in TD master course - I highly doubt it. I also have some first hand info from former beta testers and they all say there are couple of guys which are most knowledgeable by far. Our admin, srek and some greek guys. This was surprising to me because I thought I would also hear Nick's (GSG) and Tim's name, but it seems that most people there apart from above mentioned are more of a "borrowers" than "inventors"

Just the fact that you would be surprised to not hear Nick's name mentioned is very shocking in itself and quite telling. I wouldn't even consider him anywhere near knowledgeable when it comes to C4D. In fact he's said it many times himself during video tutorials. Chris Schmidt from GSG on the other hand is impressive and knows 100x that of Nick.

Have you taken Tim's fxPHD courses or even the MILG ones? You are comparing TD master course work to Tim's impressive resume of professional work. Are you serious. It's not even close. Also Tim is not a programmer. Not many C4D artists are, not even the best ones. Tim does do rigging and has a rigging course, although he is not a character animator.

Maybe you should compare their reels. Or how many times each has presented for MAXON at NAB, SiGraph, IBC, etc.

Really don't understand why you had to throw Tim under the bus by making the comparison in your first response. Could of just stated your positive opinion of Hrvoje and moved on. Would of agreed both are extremely talented and proficient in C4D, some more-so in certain areas than others. 

• Topic Author
  • Thank you all for replies. I really appreciate it.

I am looking for concrete learning paths. For example: take course x, than y, followed by z, u, v, read book B and so on. I have no official art education and almost zero experience with c4d. 

To paraphrase: How would you learn 3D, if you had to learn everything you know again from scratch? Where would you start, what wouldn't you do?

You might be interested in a mentorship program such as Mo-Graph Mentor or School of Motion for more of a guided path.

Otherwise there is just so much to learn. The more you explore 3D, the bigger it seems to get.

Learning principles of design, color, typography, animation, lighting, and many others.

Do lots of tutorials to learn the software, techniques, as well as project-based ones.

Key is to take what you've learned and implement it in your own work. Try to do daily or weekly projects to reinforce what you've learned. It all just takes time.

17 hours ago, Jimh said:

Maybe you should compare their reels. Or how many times each has presented for MAXON at NAB, SiGraph, IBC, etc.

I don't have a reel since I am fully employed for looooong time now. As far as presenting goes, I was never interested in that since it would require complicated visa procedures and long journeys given my geographical location. Also, I don't want to rob myself from watching Noseman presenting, I like that very much :)

Tim is very good professional and knows C4D and AE very well. I never watched any of his courses but am sure they are top quality and I am also not in position to judge his expertise. My general feeling is that I am a bit more technically versed given that I actually work closely on MoGraph for years now and have a natural inclination for rigging, contraptions and similar stuff. He certainly has and edge in production and artist side for obvious reasons.

5 hours ago, usbport said:

am looking for concrete learning paths. For example: take course x, than y, followed by z, u, v, read book B and so on. I have no official art education and almost zero experience with c4d. 

Well, you need fundamentals and progression from there. Since I am training vendor I won't offer you my trainings, but rather a general route based on your requirements. You want to do something along this:

1. Fundamentals (interface, navigation, managers, axis system)  - solid effort

2. Basic modelling (polygon, spline, generators, symmetry, snapping) - big effort

3. Lighting, shading, rendering - huge effort

4. MoGraph, rigging, some Xpresso - huge effort (if you are good in programming this will be much easier)

500 hours you have will be enough to become comfortable enough that you can proceed on your own, however, producing videos as you posted will need at least a year. A fully dedicated hard working and learning year. Luckily if you are stuck you can post on Cafe and people will help :)

Good luck!

• Like 1