Sign in to follow this  
vstyler

Radial cloner Help

ok, so, Im working on a LED meter for an audio plugin.... I am trying to find out how to increase the number of  'bulbs"\Spheres  so that it appears that the meter bulbs are insreasing in intensity as each one lights up.... I would do this by just adding brighter coloes and a glow to each one as the meter increases..

So.. my problem is.. when i increase of decrease the number of clones spheres, as the number is decreased, the number of shperes also increase space between them..

What I ideally want is a way to have the spheres to decrease\increase but also stay in SAME place as I do that... so that the meter 'bulbs' do not move as I increase\decrease the number of spheres in the cloner.

If anyone can help, I would appreciate it I have attached a small example .c4d.

Untitled-3.jpg

Meter.c4d

• Topic Author
  • Forgot the mention... behind the first set of spheres would be a static darker set..  The top cloner set i want to move as meter intensity is raised.. so 1,2 3,4 etc around the arc as sound is turned up in the plugin and the led meter increases...

I want the top cloned spheres to line up over the bottom layer as the number of clones is changed.

Simply.. i want to learn how to add cloner spheres in a circular cloner, as right now when i add the, the spheres are subdivided in distance and the spheres move.

You could use XPresso + formula effector to reveal spheres.

Meter2.c4d

the 'off' leds could be a duplicate with slightly less radius than the 'on' leds

• Topic Author
  • Thanks, I downloaded the project, but have no idea how to use it... the only parameter that appears to do something is Effector strength and it is only removing the last five spheres..

I need spheres to be added 1 by 1 along the arc.. without the spheres moving.

I reckon Im missing something w\ regards to your method,  Im not at all familiar with expresso or formula.

XPresso works like this. You drag objects you want to control into the XP window. LHS of a node is input, RHS is output. You add ports you need by clicking the red + blue squares. Click and drag from the ports to make wires that connect stuff.

The formula effector uses a formula to control the clones - I have position, scale off and visibility on. ID in the formula is the clone index, and I'm creating the formula using a math node set to data type string. You get math etc nodes by R-clicking in the XP window. Changing the constant value, so the formula is

id < 5 selects clones 0-4

id < 8 selects clones 0-7

your spheres are all there - just the higher ones are hidden.

To control the leds, highlight the constant node and change the value in attrib manager.

For a sound meter, it would be something like sound effector > sample node > math X10 mult > 2nd port where constant is connected.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lcxk1423bwhvxg5/soundmeter.zip?dl=1

• Topic Author
  • Wow... well, this is going to take some getting my head around but..it works and in the end, thats what i needed... Thank you so much for taking the time to explain it and providing a working example, very much appreciated.

Your original plan to use number of clones as the level works OK with linear display as you can use 'per step'. In fact, I used that method on this project. Another sound display idea I had recently here might interest you.

In the past, I've found the choice of music for a sound level scene important - most tracks are too compressed, and there's nothing interesting to look at. Something like dub reggae, where there's music + silence, works well.

Also, I've used various math smoothing methods on audio in C4D - stops flickering displays.

There's probably other ways to drive your level display.