madmarvin

How to add and animate eye textures?

Hey guys!

I'm trying to create cars with cartoon eyes, and right now I'm using a mesh solution which unfortunately breaks when the windshield is bent backwards or forwards - the meshes always go into the windshield at some point, not bending fully. Since I've tried all of the "stick mesh to surface" solutions I can think of and they all break the same way, I think my solution is not in meshes but in textures / materials...

Unfortunately I have no idea how to animate textures, or which workflow is the best for this kind of approach. The concept is simple; the windshield surface is just a white material and the eyes are just simple black circles. The eyelids are already in place as a separate mesh, which works nicely.  

Any ideas on how to successfully put two black (animatable) circles on a surface?

Below is an image of what the problem looks like. Also, take a look at these eyes from the "Chuck and friends" cartoon, that's pretty much what I want to do. As I said, the eyelids are already in place - this is just about the eyes themselves.

Fingers crossed!

rally.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-11-12 at 11.26.54.png

i'd do that with meshes, just much more convenient to animate than textures. the easiest way to do this is to just use a straight mesh for the windshiled, and straight cylinders for the eyes and just bend everything with deformers... file attached.

bend_eyes.c4d

• Awesome 1

Hmm, yeah that's way simpler actually. I'll pass it along to the modeler, perhaps it'll work! I'll let you know. Thanks everfresh!

In the meantime, if anyone has a suitable texture approach, please let me know as well. :)

Rather than using bend deformers I would use a Shrinkwrap deformer. The eye mesh will then deform better to the windshield. You can use an offset to raise it slightly if need be.

Doing it with materials can be done a number of ways. One way is to just apply the eyeball texture and with the eyeball texture tag selected change the offset U and V settings. Here's what I mean. Select the tag. I added to HUD elements so all you need to do is click and drag on the percentage. These values can be animated. You just need to UV map the object you want the eyeball texture applied to.

You can squash and stretch the black dots using the other texture tag settings.

Eyeball.zip

5 hours ago, 3DKiwi said:

Rather than using bend deformers I would use a Shrinkwrap deformer. The eye mesh will then deform better to the windshield. You can use an offset to raise it slightly if need be.

Actually the eye meshes are deformed by a Shrink Wrap already, but the entire car is then deformed by a Bend in order to articulate etc.

5 hours ago, 3DKiwi said:

Doing it with materials can be done a number of ways. One way is to just apply the eyeball texture and with the eyeball texture tag selected change the offset U and V settings. Here's what I mean. Select the tag. I added to HUD elements so all you need to do is click and drag on the percentage. These values can be animated. You just need to UV map the object you want the eyeball texture applied to.

You can squash and stretch the black dots using the other texture tag settings.

Eyeball.zip

Thank you for this, I will try the two methods in this thread and let you guys know. 

I sincerely appreciate the help I get on this forum. Amazing :)

• Like 1

Hello again, I ended up using the Texture method since it looks a little bit better under sharp lighting. Thank you again for the help!

• Like 1