Sign in to follow this  
RichMed

Machine Specs

I currently use a MacBook Pro to do my 3D but now I am working on larger projects, it is struggling to cope.

Our studio, which is a Mac environment, has some funds to get a new Mac solely for 3D.

Are there any users on here that use Mac's, and if yes, would you mind sharing your specs please?

I have a late 2015 4 GHz Intel Core i7 with 32 Gb 1867 MHz DDR3 RAM and an AMD Radeon R9 M390 2048 MB and I love it. There is newer stuff out there but it is plenty fast for my 1-2 minute complex animations so I see no need to upgrade.

• Topic Author
  • Thanks teknow, my current spec is;

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)

2.8 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2048 MB

Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

Not being the most tech savvy person, but I think your Mac is more powerful than mine, am I correct?

I'm not really savvy on this topic but I think processor speed is most important and the more cores the merrier. RAM helps too. Things have gotten so cheap it sounds like it's time for a new toy?

For now I'd get the top end i7 Imac- and (DIY) max out the RAM to 64GB.

For me that's a pleasant working experience... And when there's a need for heavy rendering, just send it to a renderfarm from within the app (Rebus Ranch etc).

Better than a kludge PC solution for me. Although maybe the new mac pro is on the horizon (isn't it always)

• Topic Author
  • Thanks rfanoni for that, what about the iMac Pro, or is that what you meant?

Apple has announced a new Mac Pro for 2019.

This machine should finally turn around the neglect high end Mac users have suffered the last 8 years.

If possible I would wait for this machine, but this can be another 12 months and this may not be possible for you.

Right now the iMac pro is the best Apple has to offer for 3D.

Final Cut seems like the only reason to use a mac.  So why not have one mac with final cut and use pc for everything else? 

PC is so much cheaper for what you get and it runs all the same programs.  You can have threadrippers in a PC with the latest video cards.  The extra speed does help with 3D work.  Having a low spec imac would drive me crazy when waiting for renders and simulations to run.