Sign in to follow this  
spiralstair

crowds in c4d?

Hi All

I am looking at the feasibility of making a crowd animation using 4 or 5 different animated characters as the basis for a group. 

Basic question - is there any way to offset animation times with cloners in c4d?

I am going to look into working with houdini as an alternative, although my original animations are in c4d - of course I can export alembic, but i don;t think this would get the most out of a procedural workflow. 

So, back to c4d - any tips on how to approach this in ways that involve cloners and difference?

Thank you

Both the Step effector and Random effector do this very well.

you can do this in c4d, with the new instance modes you can even do bigger crowds now with animated characters. i'd recommend to export each character walk loop as alembic and clone those, more performant.  if you have a dense crowd you might be facing the issue of collisions. the push apart effector could help in this case, if it makes everything a bit jittery it helps to lower the iterations (just found this out a couple of days ago, before i always tried to increase that number) and throw in a delay effector afterwards.

So, back to c4d - any tips on how to approach this in ways that involve cloners and difference?

I recently made a tutorial on how to control animation with MoGraph. I used a crowd-like animation as an example, even though it's not a real crowd simulation, since the characters are not avoiding each other, but it might suffice for many crowd-like shots.

Alternatively, one could push it further and make it particle-based to achieve a more crowed-like behaviour.

For cloning multiple characters you could either clone multiple children or use multiple cloners that are cloned on the same matrix or points.

You can watch the tutorial here:

10 hours ago, SimonTheSorcerer said:

I recently made a tutorial on how to control animation with MoGraph. I used a crowd-like animation as an example, even though it's not a real crowd simulation, since the characters are not avoiding each other, but it might suffice for many crowd-like shots.

Alternatively, one could push it further and make it particle-based to achieve a more crowed-like behaviour.

For cloning multiple characters you could either clone multiple children or use multiple cloners that are cloned on the same matrix or points.

You can watch the tutorial here:

Hey, thanks for sharing this awesome tut, however, I could only proceed to the point where he offsets Cloner and puts it into Loop Animation mode. No looping animation for me, it acts pretty much the same way as Play mode. Broken down offset and no continuous looping animation whatsoever.

Tried everything. Checked project settings on the subject of correct FPS, tried creating a new project from scratch and using just cube to replicate the same effect.

Nothing.

Any insights where did it all go wrong?

P.S I am so sorry I just realized it's actually YOU who made this tutorial haha, please pardon me "He". Thanks a lot for the effort.  Efharisto para poli ;)

8 hours ago, Boboligogo said:

Tried everything. Checked project settings on the subject of correct FPS, tried creating a new project from scratch and using just cube to replicate the same effect.

Nothing.

Any insights where did it all go wrong?

Parakalo!

Could you share a simplified scene file to take a look?

13 hours ago, SimonTheSorcerer said:

Parakalo!

Could you share a simplified scene file to take a look?

Thanks!!!!

Walking_male.c4d

On 11/22/2018 at 7:41 PM, Boboligogo said:

Thanks!!!!

Walking_male.c4d

Ok I see, it behaves a bit different in R19 than in R20. It seems it doesn't loop backwards.

Go to the Effector tab on the Random effector, and in the Min/Max set the Maximum to 0%, so it won't offset the animation forward.

On 11/26/2018 at 9:54 AM, SimonTheSorcerer said:

Ok I see, it behaves a bit different in R19 than in R20. It seems it doesn't loop backwards.

Go to the Effector tab on the Random effector, and in the Min/Max set the Maximum to 0%, so it won't offset the animation forward.

Thanks , that helped a lot. Going to proceed now with your awesome tutorial ;)