Fastbee

Make a Chess Figure Challenge 2018

I remember back in the day each challenge would be fun and challenge me to go beyond and work harder than I ever would have.  To try to spread that joy and learning I'm putting together some challenges here on the C4D Cafe for everyone. 

The first challenge is to make a single chess piece.

62063151_horsecandle2.thumb.jpg.7a403d67f2e6260eef7d27dee452c8b0.jpg

The rules have been relaxed from the old days to let people have more of the freedom of an actual work environment.

The rules are C4D must be used primarily.  Any render engine, plugins, sculpting program, or paint program of your choice can be used.  Houdini may also be used for anything.  All models must be made from scratch.  Any textures can be used.  Some textures resources for reference are the C4D Content Browser, taking your own picture, Filter Forge, Genetica, textures.com, Allegorithmic, and Megascans.  Everything should be gathered into C4D for the final render.  Photoshop should be used lightly if at all for any post work on the final render.  If it looks like too much Photoshop was done in post on the final render points will be deducted.  A scene file may be asked for at the end if something is questioned.  If a file is asked for it will be checked by hitting render on the C4D file to see how close the render looks to your final image.  People can enter multiple times, but each entry should have at least 2 works in progress (wips) before the final image or images, so it can potentially help people learn how to make things and so know it was indeed made from scratch for this challenge.

For this challenge, there will be a scored on a scale of 1 to 100 on each of the following areas.

Lighting, Model, Materials, and Fun Factor

The person with the highest score will be the winner.

If you would like to help judge the entries send me a PM.  Judges will not be able to compete in the contest.

Wips can go on this thread.

Post your final images here.

Final entries must be submitted before December 15th at 23:00 on the GMT -8 time zone.

First, second, and third place will get a badge here on the C4D Cafe so as free video tutorial by it's own choice!

Cheers everyone

John

• Like 4

Good luck to everyone and hopefully this time there are going to be many entries! :compGeek:

That looks like a fun challenge.  Does the chess piece have to be a traditional one or can it be something of high detail such as this?  Can it be sculpted or does it have to be totally modelled?

Dan

• Like 3

Thanks for making another fun challenge! 

@Wellsan I don't believe there is an official sign up, just post some WIPs and post your final entry when the time comes.

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • 18 hours ago, Rectro said:

That looks like a fun challenge.  Does the chess piece have to be a traditional one or can it be something of high detail such as this?  Can it be sculpted or does it have to be totally modelled?

Dan

Anything you like.  It can be sculpted even in another program, so long as that sculpt is imported to C4D for final rendering.  After it's imported to C4D any render engine plugin can be used.

14 hours ago, Wellsan said:

Oh, cool, eager for this, where do I sign up?

Put you wips in this thread.  Where to put the final image will be set up soon.

Haven't gone into competing b4. But then I was a 'noob'. Think i'm up for this :) BE BOLD, BE BRAVE, THE LORD THY GOD IS WITH THEE :))

P.S. I also would be happy to judge entries.Cheers. 

• Awesome 1

I don't know if I'll have enough time to much further than this by the 15th, but I wanted to give it a shot. This is my work in progress (3rd iteration). I'm shooting for a steampunk Bishop. Not sure how it's going to turn out. :smiley-greet008:

wip_bishop_1.jpg

• Like 1
    • Awesome 1