Sign in to follow this  
marmalade

MAXON Prices - Give us your feedback!

Just for education is demo version more than enough I think. If someone want to learn software (and later use it on commercial base),

MAXON Cinema4D demo has big benefit with demo - is not time-limited. For learning software enabling "Save" is not important if everything other works and user could "touch" every command and tool....

8 minutes ago, bezo said:

Just for education is demo version more than enough I think. If someone want to learn software (and later use it on commercial base),

MAXON Cinema4D demo has big benefit with demo - is not time-limited. For learning software enabling "Save" is not important if everything other works and user could "touch" every command and tool....

When you very first start learning it's ok.  Later when you want to learn by making an actual project it's really hard because it can take several days to do something.  I remember way back when I first started with the demo version I would leave my computer on for days so I could keep working on what I started in C4D.  Then you can never load that project again after it's closed.  It's a bad way to learn.  With some things like advanced rigging and character animation it's impossible to learn with because you need to keep building on what you made before.  Even now I sometimes look back on projects I made because I forgot how I did something that I didn't use for years.

1 hour ago, bezo said:

For learning software enabling "Save" is not important if everything other works and user could "touch" every command and tool....

I respectfully disagree and I think you're looking at the issue very narrowly. Houdini Apprentice offers full save functionality since they understand that people learning need to be able to save and pick up where they left off at another time. MAXON could consider offering an affordable entry point for indie/hobbyists/self-learners and look at the long-term benefits (i.e. we're building careers and will become future full-payingcustomers).

Then again, it might be too little too late. I think MAXON (and Autodesk) are hemorrhaging users to SideFX and Blender. I think Houdini is getting more user friendly with each revision, and the 3rd party add-on community is growing at a fast pace and addressing a lot of MoGraph demands with free tools such as MOPs. Blender in the meantime is leaving everyone else in the dust with viewport tech like EEVEE and a unique set of toon tools among other things. 

I believe this is exactly the type of feedback that MAXON needs to hear right now, before it becomes the next Lightwave!

...repeating the same task will teach you optimize your workflow, find faster ways to create something. If someone want to know how create character rig, then his first steps must be create very simple animations, understanding principles in basic things (which could be done in few moments instead of days), study the theory, tutorials and works of others and take the best things of all of them. If someone want to learn c4d with zero experiences in DCC, starting with advanced character rigging, it is very bad start. (just my opinion)

...but back to prices :)

Yes, as Nigel said, price for Studio is high. High for hobby users, not for "commercial" users, those are different category.

Can not say if modular system was wrong in business system, but for hobbiests was great.

One posible way could be system "rent-to-own" (perpetual licence ofcourse)

So I am an educator and freelancer. Here are my thoughts. From what I have seen more students are striking out on their own as opposed to getting hired by studios and companies. Contract work is becoming more common and having to purchase something as expensive as C4d Studio can be difficult. While I know Cinema 4d and Adobe products are quite different, I wish Cinema 4d's price was more in line with Creative Cloud pricing and if you really compared what you get, I would argue it is quite comparable. Even something closer to what Houdini does would be an improvement. I also like what Octane was doing (before V4). I think perpetual licenses are important, but offering a subscription is also beneficial. I think there should be an advantage (either monetarily or feature-wise) for perpetual licenses, but nothing that is too drastic.

MAXON had a profit increase of 15% in 2017. Now you see why they do not need to lower prices. They are selling like S***.

On 11/25/2018 at 11:33 AM, Fastbee said:

The pricing of the program closest to C4D that I like better than C4D is Houdini.  Houdini seems to have pretty much the perfect pricing system.  With their system if you are making money and have money they take more money and if you don't have money they take very little money.  If I have money I don't mind spending it on the tools I use to make that money.  If you really are a hobbiest with C4D making no money with it you will pirate it.  This is something they are forced to do because they have little money.

I disagree. 

You cannot compare Houdini pricing and licensing to C4D because Houdini (perpetual) is more expensive and node locked. You can not just install the software on a new machine when you need to, you will need to change the activation and as far as I know that's pretty restricted with SideFX Houdini. You cannot just open your projects again years later without paying again and maybe by then the older versions are not even available anymore. You cannot use your scenes created in Indie in the full versions.

Next example MODO, a software that is available with perpetual perpetual license (I wonder for how much longer) but requires online activation that seems to cause problems for legit users (because the Foundry online activation system failed repeatedly) to an extend that users loose customers because they cannot deliver is worthless to me.

Then AD, people complain that C4D is expensive the AD subscription fees are just crazy expensive for the fact that its only rental and will never be owned.

Now Vray is subscription only, requiring the workstation to be online all the time (even to display material previews), what a BS. At least we C4D Vray users can keep and use the old version.

I love the MAXON Cinema 4D and NewTek LightWave licensing models.

I'm a hobbyist, not making money with 3D, just using it for fun and personal interest. I purchased C4D Broadcast + MSA and later upgraded to Studio + tons of plugins, and I'm so happy with it.

There are way more expensive hobbies. Take photography for example, a good lens or SLR body costs as much or more then C4D Studio. Or you can buy a race bicycle for 10k. Or expensive musical instruments. Or oldtimer cars.

There is no way I'm going to rent software / use subscription services for my main software. The day C4D comes as subscription only, node locked or requiring online activation of any kind, I'll stop upgrading. I will most likely rent Houdini Indie for 2 years out of interest but I will not make it my main software.

I find it unfair of pirating commercial software towards the paying customers and the developers when all these free options are available. More shameful even are people who use a pirated software for commercial purpose and making money of it and I know there are many of them.

Who doesn't have money he can always use Blender nowadays.

One more thing towards MAXON:

Please try to monitor stop the selling of pirated C4D versions in Ebay.

There are ebay users making money of pirating C4D and selling them as official versions (they are mostly priced around $100-$500). I think there is currently no such offer but I have seen them offered and being sold regularly in ebay.

WHY? There are people I know of that bought it and thought they have a genuine version (and some still do).

Out of curiosity, due to the convincing product description and low price I once purchased a C4D 'license' from ebay - the seller claimed it is a legit version that he doesn't use anymore. I verified it with MAXON, of course it turned out to be a pirated serial number.

Admin
23 minutes ago, Marander said:

One more thing towards MAXON:

Please try to monitor stop the selling of pirated C4D versions in Ebay.

There are ebay users making money of pirating C4D and selling them as official versions (they are mostly priced around $100-$500). I think there is currently no such offer but I have seen them offered and being sold regularly in ebay.

WHY? There are people I know of that bought it and thought they have a genuine version (and some still do).

Out of curiosity, due to the convincing product description and low price I once purchased a C4D 'license' from ebay - the seller claimed it is a legit version that he doesn't use anymore. I verified it with MAXON, of course it turned out to be a pirated serial number.

I don't know why would anyone ever try to purchase any software from eBay before checking with the MAXON if it's legit. I would be very, very careful if I wanted to buy anything for 1000$. It's simply too suspicious! I probably never would buy anything for that amount of cash over eBay. But again, PayPal should protect you against these people and you should be able to get a refund if I am not wrong!

I'm a hobbyist as well and started with Poser in 2004. I changed to R10.5 a long time ago and have an MSA since then. Keeping the MSA alive is something I decided to do, because I simply like C4D, although in the last years it seemed to me that C4D had some hard time to keep up with the best. Bodypaint, Clothilde and other features are no longer on top compared to other software. C4D should provide a stable and efficient SDK to support plugins that can do a better job and help them to run on newer versions. I'm still on R18, as I cannot afford to get upgrades for all plugins every time a new C4D version is released.

Nevertheless I like C4D as I learned to handle it. I don't want to change horses, but I expect some major feature improvements with the new core, a decent price tag and a perpetual license. I use Vray as well and think about leaving it, but I have to find a reliable alternative first. C4D stays on my tool list so far.