marmalade

MAXON Prices - Give us your feedback!

4 hours ago, Visionnext said:

I get a different feeling from plugin providers. They always said in the last 3 years that a new version of their plugin is required. Maybe this is just marketing though.

This was certainly the case for  Vray plugin as it had to have work on it every year in order for it to work in the next version of C4D, however in the case of Vray this makes no difference because a new key is also needed every year which we wont get anymore so our Vray is stuck on r20.   Getting a new key every year causes this issue. Iv had the same key for Zbrush since v2, shame this wasn't the case with C4D.

9 hours ago, Visionnext said:

Maybe I didn't express myself correctly. I just mean that it should not be necessary to recompile or change the plugin every time a new release comes out.

Things will settle down after everything to do with the new core is rolled out.

• Like 1

I like the 6 month short term options currently available, although maybe make ones available of 12 and 24 months as well

- £150 per month for 12 months with option to buy perpetual for a fee (£750?) + maintenance. 

- £150 per month for 24 months with option of perpetual at the end + maintenance. 12 months in allow users to upgrade a newer version for £1000.

- £100 rolling monthly rental, no perpetual.

All prices inclusive of VAT of course :wackywink:

An extended rental is probably my route to upgrading from R15 rather than straight out full fee. I'm not in a big rush to do that just yet though.

I switched form LW3D o C4D with release R14 I think. Had a good deal on Studio bundle and have paid the yearly MSA to stay current. The last few years I've done it but not massively benefited from the new features – apart from a bit of novelly interest and some fun tools. I can afford to pay the MSA, but it's getting tougher to justify as I'm not a professional artist – although I wish I could get some CG work.

Persanally I think the MSA is a a tad on the high side, but I loathe Adobe's rental system, so am okay with the current yearly upgrade. I will say that with the likes of Blender 2.8 now around, MAXON really has to put some effort into making the app better. It feels like it's falling behind in some areas, like display, handling of large datasets, rendering speed (not everyone wants a third-party renderer bolted on, although it now seems inevitable). But I do like C4D and am keen to see how it will evolve...

• Like 3

First time for me, i bought this year R20 studio for 1 pc. Quite pricey and i havent followed the upgrade system yet, havent calculated what it will cost me next year. It seems to me, since im doing lots of "big" jobs, that c4d's cost is affordable (for 1 person that uses it professionally).
However, adding the cost of everything in order to stay in cg industry it turns out to be a lot of money for a small team like mine which is a 3-4 people office. Adding adobe cloud (which is the most essential suite for everyone), plus a lot of plugins to make c4d competitive to other 3d software, costs skyrocket each year.
So if it was just c4d covering all needs of production would be fine. But seeing the bigger picture when u wanna be in this industry, i feel that c4d should be priced differently eg as houdini is affordable to a much bigger user base. Since competition among software is tough and there is no "1 tool for the job", prices should be lower imo.