marmalade

MAXON Prices - Give us your feedback!

4 hours ago, Visionnext said:

I get a different feeling from plugin providers. They always said in the last 3 years that a new version of their plugin is required. Maybe this is just marketing though.

This was certainly the case for  Vray plugin as it had to have work on it every year in order for it to work in the next version of C4D, however in the case of Vray this makes no difference because a new key is also needed every year which we wont get anymore so our Vray is stuck on r20.   Getting a new key every year causes this issue. Iv had the same key for Zbrush since v2, shame this wasn't the case with C4D.

9 hours ago, Visionnext said:

Maybe I didn't express myself correctly. I just mean that it should not be necessary to recompile or change the plugin every time a new release comes out.

Things will settle down after everything to do with the new core is rolled out.

• Like 1

I like the 6 month short term options currently available, although maybe make ones available of 12 and 24 months as well

- £150 per month for 12 months with option to buy perpetual for a fee (£750?) + maintenance. 

- £150 per month for 24 months with option of perpetual at the end + maintenance. 12 months in allow users to upgrade a newer version for £1000.

- £100 rolling monthly rental, no perpetual.

All prices inclusive of VAT of course :wackywink:

An extended rental is probably my route to upgrading from R15 rather than straight out full fee. I'm not in a big rush to do that just yet though.

I switched form LW3D o C4D with release R14 I think. Had a good deal on Studio bundle and have paid the yearly MSA to stay current. The last few years I've done it but not massively benefited from the new features – apart from a bit of novelly interest and some fun tools. I can afford to pay the MSA, but it's getting tougher to justify as I'm not a professional artist – although I wish I could get some CG work.

Persanally I think the MSA is a a tad on the high side, but I loathe Adobe's rental system, so am okay with the current yearly upgrade. I will say that with the likes of Blender 2.8 now around, MAXON really has to put some effort into making the app better. It feels like it's falling behind in some areas, like display, handling of large datasets, rendering speed (not everyone wants a third-party renderer bolted on, although it now seems inevitable). But I do like C4D and am keen to see how it will evolve...

• Like 3

First time for me, i bought this year R20 studio for 1 pc. Quite pricey and i havent followed the upgrade system yet, havent calculated what it will cost me next year. It seems to me, since im doing lots of "big" jobs, that c4d's cost is affordable (for 1 person that uses it professionally).
However, adding the cost of everything in order to stay in cg industry it turns out to be a lot of money for a small team like mine which is a 3-4 people office. Adding adobe cloud (which is the most essential suite for everyone), plus a lot of plugins to make c4d competitive to other 3d software, costs skyrocket each year.
So if it was just c4d covering all needs of production would be fine. But seeing the bigger picture when u wanna be in this industry, i feel that c4d should be priced differently eg as houdini is affordable to a much bigger user base. Since competition among software is tough and there is no "1 tool for the job", prices should be lower imo.

for hobbyists like C4D R19 Bodypaint version there should be Dynamics, Prorender and hair and toon yeah, leave out MoGraph as a PRO Feature - no issues with that (I think of something like the Unity 3D buying option if you can proof that you earn below a certain amount of money and that you are not a registered studio) and this as free upgrade for existing version users of the previous version (oh gee, yessss)

there is no real loss, in fact it drives more customers toward MAXON than away from it

not sure if there are actually many going away from C4D because of it, but hey it would mean new customers - be CREATIVE right... remember the announcement of Unreal Engine and then Unity - wow what a leap forward in the right direction, and NOBODY in the world thought this possible EVER and yet there it is FREE Unreal Engine and Unity3D to blow your mind for EVERYONE

my few cents

but I don't make the decisions at MAXON (thank goodness)

my setup is Bodypaint, Cycles4D, a lot of free plugins, Poser 11 that makes it a Prime Version on high heels "Rock'n'Roll"

I knew exactly what I can afford to pay with what MAXON has on offer and compared it with other software (a very close candidate was LightWave but modelling wise Cinema 4D all over it was a tough one to make this decision, trust me - somewhat I regret not buying LightWave but modelling in lightWave sucks badly)

I'm not at all unhappy with what I got and still get things done one way or the other

so in a sense, no moaning about the Prime Version and it came with offline USB installer and... I love that MAXON pen

• Like 1

Hello.

I love Cinema, first of all, I must say.

I agree with @Fastbee when he says that sidefx has the best price system. It does. Three plataforms, different only in the backstage: the file system. For users there is no difference than in the apprendice final render.

Indie costs 400 euros for two years. 4000 euros for 20 years, if your revenue is under 100.000€, which is natural - if you work alone and you are starting a new live.

Of course you can buy the full version if you earn more than that. That is not the central point in this thread, I think.

Cinema starts to lose some terrain in some areas. Winning in the new fields system, for example. 

But, hey, Houdini has some great features, either. Water, smoke, explosions.... Those are missing areas in Cinema. Plugins shouldn't be an excuse, I think.

C4D has the best in its side: it's easier and Faster, more logical and more user friendly than the competition.

In my simple opinion, MAXON would only win with a new price strategy.

UV, particles, render engine, topology, animation, cloth, xpresso... Those areas should be revised.... or reformed completly.

MAXON is losing old clients, just reading this forum you,ll understand that, and losing new ones to blender 2.8 or other packages not so expensive.

As changing C4D struture is not an easy task, I think revising the pricing model should be a priority for commercial department.

Thanks for listening, I hope.

João Marco