adamjm

modelling cutouts without a boole tool

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to model a cut out like what i've got in the background model. I built the model at the front in a different way, so it's not been easy to cut a hole without using the boole tool.

I've tried adding cuts, but it won't make them as one piece. Ideally I'd like to create a cut, then move the nurbs down to create my hole.. But it can't because it's different geometry to the model in the foreground.

any help would be great.

thanks 

NEW brush base.c4d

straight cuts only.png

hole too wide.png

you can still boole it if you want too, but you won't get that nice soft edge, if you just slide a few loops outside of the handle you can then delete those 6 polls and reshape the whole a bit by moving the corners in. crude example in the file.

Deck

NEW_brush_base_2.c4d

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • Thanks for the feedback and help... I actually achieved it now, by simply deleting the place where i wanted the hole, then duplicated the nurb lines downwards to get the hole itself. then dropped it back into hypernurbs.. actually didn't need the boole tool in the end..

thanks again

• Topic Author
  • ps do you know the best way to get a debossed pattern onto one of the handles? what tool is best for this?

If its quite fine detail you might try a displacement map in the texture, you can go up or down with that.

Deck

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • ok great i'll try that, is that feature available in Prime version?

51 minutes ago, adamjm said:

ok great i'll try that, is that feature available in Prime version?

According to MAXON's product comparison page under materials the Prime version doesn't have sub-polygon displacement. This is what you need for using displacement maps. Try using a Bump map instead.

Technically you can actually use displacement without sub-polygon displacement, you just need a highly sub-divided model. Usually it's not practical to sub-divide a model to the level you need for displacement to work well.

• Topic Author
  • ok great thanks for that info :)