MHan

Some defect in the Optimize option.

I thought that it was important to know to everyone who is engaged in the modeling of complex surfaces with high accuracy. Often faced with the fact that after a while my model was no longer symmetrical and accurate. It turns out that if you often use the optimization function, point shifts and surface distortion occur.

I have a number of points from two sides at some distance. When using the optimize function, I expect that they will be sewn in one row exactly in the middle. But this is not happening.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/4wula9n77tblrfc/2018-11-28_13-30-37.mp4

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/jkjqaayo3l32i5c/2018-11-28_13-43-54.mp4

The same problem occurs when using the Connect object and its weld function.

Scene.obj

Scene.mtl

Optimize command isn´t in c4d for this task imo. For you maybe better is use Stitch and Sew command. With selected points/edge loops you want to merge into one press Ctrl and drag from one points/edge loop to second one. It create in the middle of selected loops new points/edge loop...

Priority of Optimize command is eliminate/remove "doubled" elements instead of standard modeling function. Don´t work for example like weld or stitch and sew commands, it never create new points in new positions, just remove existing one.

Optimize command is "index" based. If applied on few points with different point indexes, in case they are in tolerance, point with highest index will be kept on own position and all others points will be removed. But his index will be replaced by lowest index from optimized points selection.

Bit messy? :D

• Topic Author
  • I am not new to C4D and modeling, and I usually use the Stitch and Sew feature.
    But even so, something happens for the first time. Thank you for your thoughts.

Here is an example of how a similar feature works in XSI. 

I will look closely into this tomorrow while I am in the office, maybe Bezo is right, but regardless, something is fishy here. 

| MAXON Quality Assurance | 3D Artist | C4D Cafe Manager | Gamer in Heart/PS4 ID: SIgor420 |:compEnjoy:

Nice find.

In the meantime, first simply change the size to zero in the coordinate manager for the X axis, then optimize.

Another tool you can use for this kind of task is 'Set Point Value' and then run Optimize command. A little workaround!

| MAXON Quality Assurance | 3D Artist | C4D Cafe Manager | Gamer in Heart/PS4 ID: SIgor420 |:compEnjoy: