Hi! I would like to model this Beast Ball

image.png.bdc851434cd28c85c59f13d8108db8d6.png

I'm having issues with the extruded blue parts of the ball, image.thumb.png.54dcd9a1ca7f5d27a0e636cd2997a3ff.png

I see that in the original, the "blue panels" are perfectly matched up, can't quite figure out how can I accomplish that.

Thank you!(sorry for english)

Your English is perfect!

I think you could easily get away with not modeling those panels and just creating that effect with a bump/normal or a displacement map in your material.  In fact, that is probably what the original artist did to create your reference image.

• Like 1

You could go with a sphere with a higher number of segments. I attached a quick test with one of 96 segments, deleted all mirrored faces on X/Y/Z axises. Then I put the resulting geometry into 3 symmetry objects.

Next I selected the boundary edges (with "select boundary loop" option with the loop selection tool), cloned it with the edge slide tool. Chamfered two edge loops and extruded the panels.

Pokeball-test.c4d

Screen Shot 2018-12-03 at 16.55.05.png

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • 1 hour ago, natevplas said:

Your English is perfect!

I think you could easily get away with not modeling those panels and just creating that effect with a bump/normal or a displacement map in your material.  In fact, that is probably what the original artist did to create your reference image.

Thank you! Any idea how to start on bump/normal map? Do I have to Unwrap my sphere?

• Topic Author
  • 12 minutes ago, Bolos said:

You could go with a sphere with a higher number of segments. I attached a quick test with one of 96 segments, deleted all mirrored faces on X/Y/Z axises. Then I put the resulting geometry into 3 symmetry objects.

Next I selected the boundary edges (with "select boundary loop" option with the loop selection tool), cloned it with the edge slide tool. Chamfered two edge loops and extruded the panels.

Pokeball-test.c4d

Screen Shot 2018-12-03 at 16.55.05.png

thank you so much for taking your time to do it, uploading it and your explanation, I'm really glad i joined this group today, now my goal is to get as good as you to start helping the rest, thank you again!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Marcos Devoto said:

Thank you! Any idea how to start on bump/normal map? Do I have to Unwrap my sphere?

Looks like @Bolos pretty much solved your issue, but for the future, yes, you probably will have to unwrap your sphere.  If you're not familiar with the process, I suggest checking out YouTube for some tutorials because it's a complex process.

• Topic Author
  • Well, I don't know why i chose a task so difficult, now I'm stuck in the "pointy" stuff,surrounding the object,

image.thumb.png.53926bd4306e772e345fea3e9acafc5f.pngI'm using a Sliced torus,

It fitted perfectly somehow scaling the edges or welding the points is not working to give the pointy look 

image.thumb.png.4cb435decd362f10836f050a1c79cd0c.png