chadiabo

Define a speed via Spline Align tag

Hello

I am designing a dogfight between jets. I want to give my planes a path but also a pre-defined speed so I don't have to animate their position on the path, I found out to calculate the speed via position velocity, but I want to pre-define that speed without caring much about assigning keys on the position

If anyone has any ideas / plugins about planes flight rig I would be grateful 

Many thanks

I think this does it. There's a slider in kph, and it agrees with the XPresso position velocity

kilometers.c4d

you'll have to double check my math - I'm used to cm/frame not kph ::):

• Topic Author
  • Wow, thanks

I have to stick with a real plane dimensions, that's why it is in KpH

I think it works but I cannot find where I can input more than 500 kph, didn't find it inside the expressions. I will try to find out why

Many thanks

Position velocity is interesting because, if you hover your mouse over it, it shows as a vector. However, if that port is connected to a real input, XP does the 3D Pythagoras conversion for you ie

speed = sqrt(x^2 + y^2 + z^2)

Sorry for hijacking the thread, I really like this and want to know if it could be adjusted so that any given frame, while scrubbing the timeline, would show the correct position along the spline? Now you have to play from 0.

@madmarvin you could use the same math to make a calculator in XPresso to get the 100% align frame value for a regular align to spline on a uniform spline, then enter this manually. The object would travel at the designated kph, and would scrub.

kphcalculate.c4d

the thing with the addition method for speed, is that it can be adjusted on the fly - for normal objects as well as align to spline. A helicopter blade, with the rotation done using addition, can be spun up and down - from stopped to max to stop again. When you get the helicopter blade speed by multiplying time (seconds or frame), it goes backwards when you try to slow it down.

• Topic Author
  • Thank you Jed, awesome refreshing improvements, thanks, I was on my way to ask you about that.

Is it possible we can expand the control system to include the starting frame and the frame rate please

Best

• Topic Author
  • Hi Jed

Can you explain how manually we can enter the value taken out from the result into (?)

Do you think this works on curves too

Best

I thought it would be easier to make a short video, but I just noticed you're in Paris so I hope you can understand my Manchester accent :)

1st scene + start frame kilometers2.c4d

2nd scene + start frame kphcalculate2.c4d

also, you could try keyframing the kph in file #1