Sign in to follow this  
Freemorpheme

How are my UVs? Call 0800-YOU-SUCK-AT3D

So I have unwrapped the top of my test object in C4D and put the UVS out like so.

However when I pop it into Substance Painter for texturing it is too low res. So I have a couple of things to ask:

1. I am right in thinking UVs are resolution independent and there is no way to 'upscale' a UV when exporting?

2. If there is no more room on your UV square, then you should take some objects out and give them their own UV coordinates? You can't make the square bigger?

3. If this unwrap isn't working for me, the best solution would be to cut the big object in half and rearrange it somehow?

4. Ideally all UVs on an object should be around the same scale - this means that on a smaller object in the same scene you might choose not to scale the UVs as big as they can go in the UV space since then the resolution will be very different to the larger objects?

5.While I'm thinking about it - Substance Painter talks in terms of a high res and low res mesh. Am I right in thinking you would save out a subdivided mesh as a high res and feed it into Painter? Is that what they mean?

Thanks 

Screen Shot 2018-12-07 at 17.59.54.png

Screen Shot 2018-12-07 at 17.59.38.png

Correct, UV's are independent of texture resolution. If you want your texture to be more detailed / sharper you can:

Make the texture map higher resoltion

Make the UV's bigger

Separate the parts so that you can make the UV's bigger by giving each part it's own UV map (and texture). Technically you can have multiple UV maps in C4D but it gets complex.

If C4D was any good it would support Udims. These are UV tiles where you can have multiple UV tiles within a single UV map. You then spread the UV islands out over multiple tiles. You can then assign separate textures to each tile.

Yes, ideally UV's should all be proportional to each other. Just depends on what you're doing. This is where applying a UV Checker texture helps. You can then scale UV islands to look the same scale. Plus you see if you have any stretching or bleeding.

• Like 1

There is no single right answer of course. All depends on the goal you want to achieve.

Just note that not all textures need to be of the same resolution. Say, you have a large object with its own UV canvas. And many smaller objects, with each their own UV canvas.

You could then assign a 2K, 4K or even 8K texture to the large object, and use 512x512 or 1K textures for each of the smaller ... or combine the smaller onto a single canvas and apply a 2K (or larger) texture.

2. True. If you need more details in your texture, and you can split off objects into separate UV canvas, this could be a means to reach your goal.

3. cutting big object in half to rearrange? Not exactly. You could split off panels or parts of the object, where seams can be hidden. Creating separate objects with their own UV space ... just like point 2.

4. Depends. If the small objects are less noticable, they can have smaller UV space than the larger objects. Or split them off and give them their own UV space ... back to point 2.

Depending the project I don't follow the rule to keep same UV size for different parts of an object. But for a single part, I do try to keep the UV polygons sized equally.

5. Doesn't always work, but the idea is to create a subdivided hires model and from that (re)create a lowres model. The lowres model is imported into Substance Painter to work on. You then load the created texture from Substance Painter onto your hires model in C4D.

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • 4 hours ago, C4DS said:

subdivided hires model and from that (re)create a lowres model. 

Does this include a mesh under a SDS and then with it turned off? I did some test maps from SP and they looked fine back in C4D, but when I turned the SDS back on all the textures stretched out, and I'm not sure what to do about it, apart from make the mesh editable before I export the FBX.

It's been a while since I worked with Substance Painter, so I had to dig in my archives.

The hires model is indeed with SDS turned on and "current state to object"-ed, then exported as FBX. The lores is with SDS turned off, again exported as FBX.

Note the separate objects are named accordingly, in order for the Substance Painter bakers to do their work.

When importing the textures to your SDS-ed objects, set the "Subdivide UVs" attribute on your SDS(s) on "Edge". This seems to be the one which helps for least stretching of the textures.

Still not 100% OK.

Additionally, I still haven't managed to get an identical look between the preview in Substance Painter and the output in C4D.

• Like 1

On 12/8/2018 at 1:52 AM, Freemorpheme said:

Does this include a mesh under a SDS and then with it turned off? I did some test maps from SP and they looked fine back in C4D, but when I turned the SDS back on all the textures stretched out, and I'm not sure what to do about it, apart from make the mesh editable before I export the FBX.

In the object menu of your Subdivision Surfacet there's a Subdivide UVs setting. Try changing it from 'Standard' to 'Edge'. That may help

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • Can any of you lovely people tell me if there any awful unwrapping errors in the mesh that I have put up here?

This gives horrible shading errors on the map bakes in SP, and I cannot think why.

Screen Shot 2018-12-10 at 13.54.30.png

...maybe  too much tiny polygons (0,070 high) for SP baker. In result (UV´s versus texture resolution) it´s few pixels only... 

• Like 1