Sign in to follow this  
cinevisual

CPU 3rd party renderers

Are there any CPU based 3rd party renderers out there for C4D which offer a perpetual license? The options out there seem to be decreasing.

The only decent option I can find is Redshift but that appears to be mainly GPU based.

Thanks.

Arnold has  both subscription and perpetual. Maxwell is perpetual. Corona so far is free, but I think it will be subscription when it will be official. These are all CPU renderers for now. Redshift is mainly GPU and Nvidia (as you already said yourself - two limitations). Cycles4D and Thea are hybrid renderers, but the CPU rendering is quite good. They are also forever, not the maintenance of course as with all the others. You are so right about that the options seem to be decreasing. Awful really. I would like to choose what is best for me and not what is the trend of the moment.

I think Corona is cpu based and free for now

I was told from the makers of Corona that it will not be perpetual. 

Iv also been looking about and I was not aware Arnold had a perpetual licence.

Redshift is the only one left that is on the high end list but it's gpu but fast even on a gtx 780 card.

If I come across one I will post here.  Much also depends on what your rendering.  Fir me hair and skin are high on my list.

Dan

• Topic Author
  • 54 minutes ago, Rectro said:

I was told from the makers of Corona that it will not be perpetual. 

That's a shame.

For me I need it mainly for animations and interiors.

3 hours ago, cinevisual said:

That's a shame.

For me I need it mainly for animations and interiors.

For animations and interiors with something perpetual you will want to get cycles4d or Redshift.  The advantage with cycles is it's cpu, gpu, amd, nvidia, xparticles compatibility.  Redshift is usually faster.  Tensor cores might make each one 8x faster with gpu as soon as that tech gets integrated if you are using an nvidia rtx card.

Yes, Arnold has subscription and maintenance (but I had Arnold before it became Autodesk so it might be that new customers can only do subscription now. Don't know about that. 

3 hours ago, liseng said:

Yes, Arnold has subscription and maintenance (but I had Arnold before it became Autodesk so it might be that new customers can only do subscription now. Don't know about that. 

I had contacted them just before they went over the subscription when they  had a small window open to purchase perpetual licence but they where so expensive.  Now they dont offer any perpetual licences at all.  Not sure how much their maintenance is these days?

Dan

On 12/10/2018 at 11:43 PM, Rectro said:

I had contacted them just before they went over the subscription when they  had a small window open to purchase perpetual licence but they where so expensive.  Now they dont offer any perpetual licences at all.  Not sure how much their maintenance is these days?

Dan

I'm interested in a perpetual license as well, as Vray went over to a subscription model. I looked at Arnold, but I'm familiar with Vray and it may make no sense to change from one subscription to another. I search for a 3rd party render that works nicely with skin and hair and supports CPU.

Been checking out Redshift this week, this is the only perpetual option  but so far the newest material RS Material does not match up to Alsurface within Vray, its more like going back to the Vray Skin material, too many maps will need to be used to get the ballance, and too many tweaking hours which at the end still does not result in what the Alsurface in Vray can get to within 3 min.  The tell tell signs are if you can find at least a single image out there or video that shows you the results your after. iv found non for Redshift.

Dan