Sign in to follow this  
BIgor

Are these good UVs?

Hello :D So I made these UVs using Unfold 3D... Would you say that these are good? 

UVs.png

Hmmm...  I guess "good" is a relative term.  Are they good enough for what you need to do?  One thing I would say is they could be more tightly packed to make better use of the pixels in your texture.  Also, you have a lot of little UV islands where you probably want more connected pieces.

• Topic Author
  • 25 minutes ago, natevplas said:

Hmmm...  I guess "good" is a relative term.  Are they good enough for what you need to do?  One thing I would say is they could be more tightly packed to make better use of the pixels in your texture.  Also, you have a lot of little UV islands where you probably want more connected pieces.

Yes I understand this, well I want to make this into a stylised sword, something what you would see in World of Warcraft or something like that...
    The small island are like that because it is the best way I could figure out how to unwrap some of the parts so that there is minimal or no stretching. If I was to make the small islands bigger to fill up the space, would that be good?  

I haven't used Unfold 3D, but maybe there is a button to click that will maximize the space for you?  I'm not sure if it's 'proper' to make some polys bigger than others on a UV map, but I don't think it hurts.  Will you be painting the textures right on the model, or mainly trying to use images?  The reason I ask is because you have so many seams with those little UV islands.  If you'll be painting it and don't care about seams, then I think you're fine.  But, if you want to go with a quicker route using image-based textures, you'll have a lot of visible seams to contend with.

• Topic Author
  • 2 hours ago, natevplas said:

I haven't used Unfold 3D, but maybe there is a button to click that will maximize the space for you?  I'm not sure if it's 'proper' to make some polys bigger than others on a UV map, but I don't think it hurts.  Will you be painting the textures right on the model, or mainly trying to use images?  The reason I ask is because you have so many seams with those little UV islands.  If you'll be painting it and don't care about seams, then I think you're fine.  But, if you want to go with a quicker route using image-based textures, you'll have a lot of visible seams to contend with.

Yes there are options to automatically place the islands, some of them place them with the current scale some option stretch them, That is the number 1 I have circled in the pic. Number 2 are the options to adjust the Islands in various modes, like Lines and polys of them... I think Unfold 3D uses the same algorithm as Maya... Well I plan to take this Model into Substance painter and paint it there... In this picture I have used one of the Auto place options... 

UVs 2.png

Looks good.  If you're going to Substance then you're probably good to go.

• Topic Author
  • 15 hours ago, natevplas said:

Looks good.  If you're going to Substance then you're probably good to go.

Ok cool :D So this Auto layout of the islands is better then what I have done? 

It looks a little more organized is all.  I'm a generalist, not a UVing expert, but I think either way would have been fine.  If you needed a close-up of the handle, though, maybe you would want to scale up those parts in the UVs since you have the space anyway.

If you're going to use Substancer Painter for texturing, you don't have to worry about the best UV layout at this moment.

You have unwrapped your mesh, you flattened the UVs and you arranged the UV islands without any overlapping.

That's enough for now and you could start with Substance Painter.

There are many nice features in Substance Painter that helps you to get the best results:

Because of its non-destructive workflow you can reload the mesh in your Substance project with a new, improved UV layout everytime you want to.

All the texturing work you have created so far will then be updated. And probably you will do so when you're facing some issues with your current UV layout.

E.g. the margin value in Rizom UV is set to 2 pixel. This might be ok if you want to have an output texture size of 256x256 pixel.

Pretty sure you want to have a 2K or 4K texture size so you will increase this value.
    Same goes for the spacing value between your UV islands. A spacing of 4 pixel is very low when you finally bake out your texture maps.

But don't do this now, leave it the way it is. Again: you can refresh an improved UV layout every time you want.

Same for the size of some UV islands: You will notice that even with a texture size of 8K, some elements of your mesh don't get that amount of detail you want to.
    E.g. the middle part of the sword handle. You probably will use some leather or fabric material for this. With the existing size of these UV shells it's not possible to capture all the details.

So you will come to the conclusion to enlarge these both UV islands and reload the mesh.
    A.s.o. / a.s.o.
    Compared to Photoshop or BodyPaint, Substance Painter is really great for those texturing jobs, but you will have to invest some time to understand how it works to get the best out of it.

• Topic Author
  • 22 hours ago, Mervic said:

If you're going to use Substancer Painter for texturing, you don't have to worry about the best UV layout at this moment.

You have unwrapped your mesh, you flattened the UVs and you arranged the UV islands without any overlapping.

That's enough for now and you could start with Substance Painter.

There are many nice features in Substance Painter that helps you to get the best results:

Because of its non-destructive workflow you can reload the mesh in your Substance project with a new, improved UV layout everytime you want to.

All the texturing work you have created so far will then be updated. And probably you will do so when you're facing some issues with your current UV layout.

E.g. the margin value in Rizom UV is set to 2 pixel. This might be ok if you want to have an output texture size of 256x256 pixel.

Pretty sure you want to have a 2K or 4K texture size so you will increase this value.
    Same goes for the spacing value between your UV islands. A spacing of 4 pixel is very low when you finally bake out your texture maps.

But don't do this now, leave it the way it is. Again: you can refresh an improved UV layout every time you want.

Same for the size of some UV islands: You will notice that even with a texture size of 8K, some elements of your mesh don't get that amount of detail you want to.
    E.g. the middle part of the sword handle. You probably will use some leather or fabric material for this. With the existing size of these UV shells it's not possible to capture all the details.

So you will come to the conclusion to enlarge these both UV islands and reload the mesh.
    A.s.o. / a.s.o.
    Compared to Photoshop or BodyPaint, Substance Painter is really great for those texturing jobs, but you will have to invest some time to understand how it works to get the best out of it.

All very great INFO :D THX! Well I am going for a stylised look so I guess more then 2K maps is not needed, and if I would like to go for a very realistic close up then I should make UDIMS... at least that is what I have read and found on various places over the net. I just found out the Unfold 3D has a fantastic auto unfold feature for all kinds of shapes :P Not sure how important is the stretching on the islands... What do you think? 

P.S. I have a Low Poly and a High Poly version of the sword, did some sculpting in C4D on the high Poly. If at a later time I change the UV island layout and how they are cut, is it enough if I just copy the new UV tag in C4D over the old one? 

Edited by BIgor