NjordStudio

ArchVIZ - Modo falloff / C4D replacement

Hi, I am new to Cinema 4D and I come from Modo (and Maya before that). And I want to fit the windows in "my" house, and if I was in Modo I would have used falloffs for this to maintain the vertex position towards each other. Like this:

Falloffs.thumb.png.5718ee7111bed346025a4382493d63cc.png

But now I want to use C4D for this (because of many things, not the discussion right now) and there must be some deformer that can do this type of thing. Am I right? Or how is this kind of work done in Cinema?

snip_20181212152024.thumb.png.bff5647dea835041b363b573111859f0.png

I am not familiar with Modo, but you have a quite a few options here. One would be to simply transform point selections on Y? You could also use mesh deformer but I don't think it is needed for this. Additionally, make a good use of snapping and guides ;)

Free C4D trainings from MAXON professional on our youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/c4dcafe

• Topic Author
  • 1 minute ago, HSrdelic said:

I am not familiar with Modo, but you have a quite a few options here. One would be to simply transform point selections on Y? You could also use mesh deformer but I don't think it is needed for this. Additionally, make a good use of snapping and guides ;)

Hi, thank you for answering. Can you help me understand what you meenwhen you say "transfor point selection on Y" you mean move em?

If I move em in Y I get this deformation to the window frame.

snip_20181213090442.thumb.png.44b9f6b890a5d7bc4819015156392074.png

This is something that's on my wishlist for C4D for a long time.

There's a plugin (Nitro Falloff) that you can try.

We need a 'fit to selection' button for deformers, similar to the 'fit to parent' we allready have.

It would make all deformers at once very powerfull modelling tools.

You can do it now but it's just too cumbersome to manually adjust the cage to your selection.

You should try to avoid working with denser geometry when it is not needed. In your case, you could do simple shapes and use bevel deformer later on. As it stands now, you are looking into some moving/sliding to get it right

Free C4D trainings from MAXON professional on our youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/c4dcafe

I wish we had that Modo function in C4D.  It's not as an elegant solution but here is how I would have done in C4D.

1.Make a duplicate of the "Windows New ProfileCloned" group. Middle click on the group in the Object list  to select the hierarchy then right click on the group and select "Connect Objects and Delete".
    2.I'll be using the FFD deformer and it's "fit to parent" function so delete all the unneccesary parts. I deleted everything but the top frames.  
    3.Add the FFD deformer as a child, click "fit to parent" in the Oblect tab of the deformer, set division of the deformer to 2.
    4.Then move the deformer into your original "Windows New ProfileCloned" group as a child and move/snap the deformer points to whatever your trying to match it to.

here is the scene file:

Windows_ben.c4d

• Like 1