Jump to content


Arivald

Trying to cut an edge off

Recommended Posts

Hi,

 

I'm trying to cut an edge and found this tutorial

 

 

In the tutorial the guy is simply selecting Place Cut and slashing the model in half. After that he clicks Select Connected and simply drags one half away. When I do the same thing, the axis is moving and nothing else :( Also if I cut a model in this way, will it be hollow inside? Can I make it not hollow?

 

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You must do someting wrong. Have you selected Split option? Or you´ve temporary selected axis modification tool...Try to watch carefuly tutorial again and check your tool setings

For "not hollow" use Voronoi object as mentioned in tutorial...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Topic Author
  • 1 hour ago, bezo said:

    You must do someting wrong. Have you selected Split option? Or you´ve temporary selected axis modification tool...Try to watch carefuly tutorial again and check your tool setings

    For "not hollow" use Voronoi object as mentioned in tutorial...

    Thanks for the answer, have a look at the video here, unless I'm totaly blind (most likely I am) I'm doing everything as he does in the video.

     

     

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Looks like you have the axis tool turned on - moves the object axis, but not the object.

     

    arrow.png.1dbc9ca1951bbae2b109b2fa62b8d64f.png

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
  • Topic Author
  • 18 hours ago, jed said:

    Looks like you have the axis tool turned on - moves the object axis, but not the object.

     

    arrow.png.1dbc9ca1951bbae2b109b2fa62b8d64f.png

    That works, however how can I move the piece in a specific direction without having this enabled? If I disable it there are no controls that I can use, if I turn it on then the cut object won't move.

     

    Thanks!

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    The 'L' tool is for adjusting an object's axis to where you need it eg at the center of the object - only works with polygon (editable) objects. Turn it off to move the whole object.

     

    If there is no axis visible when the L tool is off, you may have accidently pressed the hot keys for 'hide the axes' . This is Alt-D on Windows.

     

    When the axes are hidden by Alt-D, the L tool will make the axes visible when L is on, and no axes when L is off.

     

    Not sure what the Mac equiv hot key is...

    • Like 1

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
  • Topic Author
  • 2 minutes ago, jed said:

    The 'L' tool is for adjusting an object's axis to where you need it eg at the center of the object - only works with polygon (editable) objects. Turn it off to move the whole object.

     

    If there is no axis visible when the L tool is off, you may have accidently pressed the hot keys for 'hide the axes' . This is Alt-D on Windows.

      

    When the axes are hidden by Alt-D, the L tool will make the axes visible when L is on, and no axes when L is off.

     

    Not sure what the Mac equiv hot key is...

    That was the case, thank you very much!

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Old story - way back around C4D R11.5, I accidently pressed Alt-D and hid the axes. I was new to C4D and didn't know about this hotkey. After several days of trying to fix the 'missing axes' problem, I cut my losses and reinstalled C4D.

     

    I also didn't know there was a prefs folder (which had stored my 'hide axes' setting). The prefs folder survived the reinstall, and when I started the 'new' C4D the ****ing axes were still missing.

     

    D'OH, as Homer Simpson would say.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now

    • Recently Browsing   0 members

      No registered users viewing this page.

    ×