Arivald

Trying to cut an edge off

Hi,

I'm trying to cut an edge and found this tutorial

In the tutorial the guy is simply selecting Place Cut and slashing the model in half. After that he clicks Select Connected and simply drags one half away. When I do the same thing, the axis is moving and nothing else :( Also if I cut a model in this way, will it be hollow inside? Can I make it not hollow?

Thanks

You must do someting wrong. Have you selected Split option? Or you´ve temporary selected axis modification tool...Try to watch carefuly tutorial again and check your tool setings

For "not hollow" use Voronoi object as mentioned in tutorial...

• Topic Author
  • 1 hour ago, bezo said:

You must do someting wrong. Have you selected Split option? Or you´ve temporary selected axis modification tool...Try to watch carefuly tutorial again and check your tool setings

For "not hollow" use Voronoi object as mentioned in tutorial...

Thanks for the answer, have a look at the video here, unless I'm totaly blind (most likely I am) I'm doing everything as he does in the video.

Looks like you have the axis tool turned on - moves the object axis, but not the object.

arrow.png.1dbc9ca1951bbae2b109b2fa62b8d64f.png

• Topic Author
  • 18 hours ago, jed said:

Looks like you have the axis tool turned on - moves the object axis, but not the object.

arrow.png.1dbc9ca1951bbae2b109b2fa62b8d64f.png

That works, however how can I move the piece in a specific direction without having this enabled? If I disable it there are no controls that I can use, if I turn it on then the cut object won't move.

Thanks!

The 'L' tool is for adjusting an object's axis to where you need it eg at the center of the object - only works with polygon (editable) objects. Turn it off to move the whole object.

If there is no axis visible when the L tool is off, you may have accidently pressed the hot keys for 'hide the axes' . This is Alt-D on Windows.

When the axes are hidden by Alt-D, the L tool will make the axes visible when L is on, and no axes when L is off.

Not sure what the Mac equiv hot key is...

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • 2 minutes ago, jed said:

The 'L' tool is for adjusting an object's axis to where you need it eg at the center of the object - only works with polygon (editable) objects. Turn it off to move the whole object.

If there is no axis visible when the L tool is off, you may have accidently pressed the hot keys for 'hide the axes' . This is Alt-D on Windows.

When the axes are hidden by Alt-D, the L tool will make the axes visible when L is on, and no axes when L is off.

Not sure what the Mac equiv hot key is...

That was the case, thank you very much!

Old story - way back around C4D R11.5, I accidently pressed Alt-D and hid the axes. I was new to C4D and didn't know about this hotkey. After several days of trying to fix the 'missing axes' problem, I cut my losses and reinstalled C4D.

I also didn't know there was a prefs folder (which had stored my 'hide axes' setting). The prefs folder survived the reinstall, and when I started the 'new' C4D the ****ing axes were still missing.

D'OH, as Homer Simpson would say.