pacificm

How Do You Align Live Action Video & 3D?

I’m working on a project where the final output is video.  I’m combining live action video and green screened 3D animation from C4D in Final Cut Pro.  The live action video is forming the primary storyline.  The green screened 3D animation is forming the secondary storyline above each primary video scene.  Then, using the Keyer in Final Cut Pro on the C4D 3D green screen, the 3D animation is merged to the live action video.

Everything is going well so far.  However, the problem is aligning the 3D object animations from C4D with the live action video - to get the alignment from the 3D animation to match the live action video.  It would be very helpful if there was a way to import live action stills and/or live video into the C4D viewport to help align the 3D objects with the video elements before rendering the 3D animation in C4D.

Is there a way to import live action stills and/or video into C4D so that they can be used to help align the 3D and video elements?  if so how can that be done?

Thanks!

Hopefully this will help. Just import the video as a texture on a background object and use the animation texture settings to make it playback in the viewport. (There are tutorials for this but I can't look for them at the moment).  Also... why would you green screen animations when you can export them with a transparent background? (Alpha channel). Each process is little involved for a forum post response right now, but I would suggest doing a quick tutorial search for compositing with C4D. There are a few techniques and you'll want to pick the way that's easiest for you. 

• Like 1

I second what @CApruzzese said!  Also, is your footage shot with a moving camera?  If so, you will need to track the motion in the footage so that your 3D objects stick to the scene and don't just float around!  This is a somewhat advanced skill, but C4D has some good tools for it.  Check out this great tutorial from @Beefdoctor

• Like 2

On 12/17/2018 at 8:30 PM, natevplas said:

I second what @CApruzzese said!  Also, is your footage shot with a moving camera?  If so, you will need to track the motion in the footage so that your 3D objects stick to the scene and don't just float around!  This is a somewhat advanced skill, but C4D has some good tools for it.  Check out this great tutorial from @Beefdoctor

Thanks for the shoutout! Much appreciated :)

• Haha 1

Check out my C4D tutorials at Digitalmeat.uk