Sign in to follow this  
Arivald

How to fill a hole and create this obj

I'm trying to recreate my desk in Cinema as best as I can and I have two questions.

Once I make a hole going through an object, how can I fill it in so that I fills it inside creating a 'tunnel' rather than patching a circle? You can see what I mean in the screenshot. First I tried making the hole with boole, but then I thought it might not be possible to then fill it in so I just made a circle and cut that out. I have tried using the 'Close polygon hole', but that only patches the circle that I cut out rather than patching the inside. I also tried using 'Bridge', but that only connects between 2 points from one side to the other rather than all the way around.

hole.thumb.png.8cc90eeac40f6a8fcd6b374411c156dd.png

Second question is how would I go about creating this round nut? All the tutorials that I could find focus on creating the normal hex nut and in my desk they have this weird shape. I really don't know where to start with that.

48386247_1549800278385523_1171214740983119872_n(1).thumb.jpg.c3cb8222a5f31818c4399156c9ea5081.jpg

Thanks!

If holes were created with boole of one object and both circles have the same pointcount, simply select edgeloops of both circles and apply command Stitch and Sew. With holding Shift drag from point of first circle to oposite point of second circle...

For nut use SDS modeling technique. Start with tube, extrude oposite side polygons, add support edgeloops/cuts...

• Topic Author
  • 17 hours ago, bezo said:

Thank you!

I followed this tutorial on making a screw ->

At around 1m50s he puts the Sweep and Extrude into a boole and I understand the reasoning. However when I do it, cinema just stops working for me, it slows down as hell, the screw becomes invisible and all my pc fans go crazy. I don't understand why this would be heavy on the system. I'm sure my pc can handle making a tiny screw. I included the c4d. file with the boole disabled. Once I enable it, cinema just wants to crash. Could you have a look at it and see whats wrong with that?

desk cinema.c4d

Forget modeling the screw with boole. As you've discovered, it's more of a pain than it is worth as it is a very small detail. Look at this tutorial instead. It's in Max, but the concept is the same.