cathor

Kickstart a C4D Shotgun integration

Hey,

I have a dream of using C4D in our VFX pipeline... Doubt I am the only one. Since starting a new position at a post house where Shotgun is an essential hub in day-to-day work, I have more or less abandoned C4D in favor for Maya and Houdini. Certain tasks are better handled by Maya, some are better in Houdini,  then there are tasks where C4D just excels. C4D is such a robust piece of software I am sad to see it on the bench just because it lacks a proper pipeline integration. As C4D is gaining popularity and respect at larger studios, I assume the interest for a Shotgun integration would grow along with it. I know there are studios that have developed in-house engines for C4D but it would be amazing to see it out in the wild.

While having no coding skills to write home about, I do know one or two things about the cinema 4d workflow and how to manage a project. My rough idea is to arrange a Kickstarter-campaign where the goal is to crowdfund the development of a Shotgun integration for C4D. The money would go exclusively to the developers and the end product would then be released free to the public.

Right now I am mostly interested in if there is any interest in this at all. Sort of like taking the temperature of the idea. If it's even worth investing any time in.

Any comments or ideas are welcome. Do you have any experience in working with Shotgun? Coding for Shutgun?

At this stage, I am also trying to figure out;

-- How long would take to develop a fully fledged shotgun engine? (Man days)

-- What would be a reasonable funding goal? 

-- Where would I start looking for developers?

Cheers,

• Like 1

Really great to see interest in these kind of workflow and integrations for C4D!

I would like to see this done from the ShotgunSoftware side.  This would then add a sense of security to the project to know that if you adopt it in your pipeline then it will continue to be supported.

I would be interested in developing the system myself. I have in the past created a prototype system very similar to shotgunsoftware that was fully integrated into C4D, but I did not release it.

I will get in touch with some people to see if there is any interest in funding it either from Shotgun or MAXON. 

-- How long would take to develop a fully fledged shotgun engine? (Man days)

It would probably take about a year to develop a fully working, tested and documented integration. 

-- What would be a reasonable funding goal?

Ideally the cost of a developer for 1 full year of work.

But if that developer is not able/wiling to do documentation, tutorials, testing etc..., then at least one or two other people part time as well.

-- Where would I start looking for developers?

Here is a good start. Also https://plugincafe.MAXON.net/

But you need a developer that is not going to run away and leave the project in the dust, needs to be passionate about C4D, the artists and their work, and have a desire to work with studios and artists to ensure it fits with their pipelines.

If you get the kickstarter going and there is enough interest then get in touch.  

Cheers,

Kent

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • Thanks for your feedback Kent.

Yes, the ideal solution would be if it was developer by the Shotgun team. I have raised the question on their forum whether or not a C4D engine is on the roadmap. Haven’t received any answer. 

The deleveloper(s) would definitely have to show a high level of commitment to the project before being taken onboard. We want to make sure it’s going to cross the finish line. 

The post- release support is a trickier question. It’s gonna need to be updated along with Shotgun and C4D.

Territory Studios have a git with a Shotgun-C4D repo. Have no Idea what state it’s in. 

https://github.com/territorystudiopipeline/ts-cinema4d

Thanks for showing interest Kent. We’ll see how this plays out. Would like to see more than 2 people showing interest in the project here at the largest C4D forum before taking this further. Will keep you updated. Please spread the word.

cheers,

If you end up getting in contact with someone at ShotgunSoftware yourself then feel free to let them know that I would be willing to create the integration as well support and maintain it going forward. But if you crowd source it and there are other devs who want to do this then that is ok as well.

It is the holiday season and they will all be away soon, and I think this forum will also get quiet over the next couple of months so you may not see many people jumping into this thread anytime soon. Make sure to bump it again next year sometime in mid January.

This sounds great.. Are there any updates about the progress for this?  I was also looking at ftrack which does have a c4d integration but shotgun would be great!

• Topic Author
  • Unfortunately no updates. Had hoped for a better response here before taking it further. Of course, there are more people interested in this besides us three in this thread.

Still interesting how Shotgun is neglecting C4D, and not even mentioning or answering whether a c4d integration is in the works. Even After Effects got an official integration just days ago.

Don't know how to give this more attention. All ideas are welcome! Maybe reach out to MAXON? It should be in their interest as well.

Cheers,